Xm advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

The seller is in Canada, the car is in California and is on Florida plates?

I'm sure there's a plausible explanation, but that sounds well dodgy to me.
ImageImage
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

I just noticed it's not the first time he's tried to sell it on the bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0240759704

It went up to $9300 with the reserve not met. :shock:

I need to start exporting left-hooker XMs to America...
ImageImage
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks Ross.

It was certainly the right decision to post here. I was seeking advice on potential pitfalls with Xm ownership, especially where there is not such a well developed dealer network and access to spares or experienced mechanics* but this has been a revalation, so many eagle-eyed Citroenists spotting lots of things questionable about the actual sale itself.

I think you have spared Mike a lot of money and headaches.

*perhaps not such an issue so close to Canada, with stronger ties to France and possibly more Citroens and less stringent import regulations.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Gee's you guys have no sense of adventure.

You'll never find another low milage XM like that one. If you want one .... JUST BUY IT !!!!

About 2weeks ago I purchased probably the only turbo diesel XM in Australia without seeing it, and flew over and drove it home...

You will probably find the XMs sphere dead, so if you have a long way to travel I'd suggest taking some sphere's with you so you don't have to drive it home with no suspension.

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Shane,
the problem with the US is that most Citroens are banned from there due to their peculiarly stringent regulations, so it isn't certain that parts will be readily available.

Also, as the others, particularly Ross, observed, the deal itself looks a bit shady.

The car looks fine and had there been the opportunity to inspect it I would have grabbed it with both hands.

It isn't me that is buying it though, but my future son-in-law, who had never heard of Citroen until I picked them up from the airport in my C5.

Mike lives 1,000 miles from where it is currently and is unable to devote the time necessary to go and inspect it.

I hope that yours treats you well though.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Just check to make sure it can be registered in your area..... It's "history" of registration is irrelivant if you can register and drive it in your area :) I'd buy a car from a different state out here no problems if I thought I could register and drive it where I live.

1000miles ?? Sounds like a nice distance to drive ... :) Nothing like an adventure 8)

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I see that the auction's been closed without a buyer, but as a footnote the fact that it's headlined as having done '37,xxx' miles, but the figure lower down is 28 miles off 38 000 might give a hint to the seller's mindset.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

On the advice garnered her he abandoned it and is looking for another SAAB to replace the one she is selling.
He was lasst looking at a perfect 900 turbo, higher spec than Laura's, leather interior, AC, electric seats and all the rest.
There were lotts of pictures, inside, outsede, engine, wheels and so on.
It was high mileage but appeared to have been well looked after with full service history.

It was at the other end of the country and he suggested I go and drive it over for him