Damaged Wing mirror

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

arkweld
My Cars: Xantia Activa

Damaged Wing mirror

Post by arkweld »

My wing mirror has been snapped off this evening , i keep a keen observation on my Activa , and happened to catch a thug load of youth's jump on the bonnet over the roof . The electric mirror's been snapped at the base/bracket and is now dangling by the wires .
Can anyone tell how i can get the colour coded shell open to disconnect the wiring without causing anymore damage . Does they prise apart easy enough or the glass need taking off . Im gonna need to get main bracket though the colour coded part will be useable . For now i just want the outside wiring disconnected without pulling the door card . thank's
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

On my ZX you just remove = pry off, the triangular plastic cover inside, then undo the screws to remove the mirror, there is a plug somewhere, for the elecs but I cant remamber quite where it is, but I did not have to remove the door card so its either in the mirror itself or under the mirror base..
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Really sorry to hear this!

I'm sickened and angry myself and know how you feel as unfortunately
I've been here myself before - in fact, I've got someone keying my cars
at odd intervals at the moment - mindless &@@$&@!!

Sadly you're going to have to remove the glass to get at the wiring or
take it off at the the inner end behind the doortrim. Just prying off the
coloured section simply reveals the solid she'll beneath.

The coloured piece unclips upwards and you're best unclipping the
outside rounded end first.

Am I right to understand the roof and bonnet have been walked on!?
what colour is your Activa? Where do you live?

Andrew
arkweld

Post by arkweld »

That might be the case with the inner trim plate ,i'll give it a go . it also has the alarm sensor in there , the haynes say's take the door trim off for some reason , " that's a clart on" . i might just snip the wires outside because i'll have to get a replacement anyhow , thanks for reply .
arkweld

Post by arkweld »

yes andmcit , this happened just meters away from where i'm at . Second occasion too that this really zoned me , the bonnet and roof held the full weight as i rushed out , and dont have any denting . I live in Hertfordshire , and really the area as such does make me just expect 'when rather than if .
Are you saying pop the mirror glass out , and is that triangle covering with the sensor the only thing needs pulling off , above the door trim .
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The colour coded shell can be prised off but in the process of doing that its securing tags generally break off however you can normally reuse the shell, it might just need the assistance of some glue to keep it there.

To get the glass out tilt the glass down to allow access to the two wire tags at the top which need to be unclipped 'outwards' (ie the left wire to the left) you'll first need to push the wire back towards the centre first though to get them unclipped, its fiddly.

To remove the mirror you need to remove the door card to be able to remove the small triangular section where the alarm sensor sits to in order to get at the three mirror securing screws, you'll also then be able to get to the connecting plugs.

Cuting the wires is the easy option although you won't be able to rescue the outside temperature sensor which is useful to keep as a spare as they can go :^o

The mirror is only sold as a complete item.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with most of what DickieG said, appart from the lugs which secure the coded cover, as i find if you are very carefull after dismantling the everything behinde the mirror glass, you can then gain access to the lugs from onside the shell, which you can eass out very gently
regards malcolm