Xantia Design Fault?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith J

Xantia Design Fault?

Post by Keith J »

Upon reading another post about the height the clutch pedal should be above mats and carpet. I wondered if anyone had experienced the following with the accelerator? This happened to me at around 70mph on a dual carriageway. The car is a 1996 Xantia 1.9TD.

I have a separate rubber mat on the floor on the drivers side (one I placed there). This mat slipped down a little. The manufacturers carpet has a rubber matted area fixed to it, this creates a lip. On depressing the accelerator fully, (I was about to overtake someone), the lip on the manufacturers rubber matted area, caught the accelerator pedal and held it down. I continued to accelerate and it took a few seconds to realise what had happened. I at first assumed that the accelerator cable had "Whiskered" and stuck on at full throttle. I was approaching 90 MPH down a hill by the time I had bent down and physically pulled the accelerator pedal up with my hand. Not a pleasant experience.

Anyone had similar?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No - not a design flaw -

A common "event" you may experience in any car 8)
Its your own responsibility that nothing - including OEM mats & carpets - may disturb the functions on your car.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Drivers floor mats are usually supplied wih fittings to secure them in place to prevent such an occurance. Hardly Citroens fault though.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

But this is the manufacturers carpeting fitted at the factory that caused this, not the additional rubber mat that I added. Hence my belief that it is a design flaw. The front of the accelerator pedal can be held down by the factory supplied and fitted matting. The carpeting and rubber mat are secure and cannot be moved without considerable effort. Had I not placed a further mat in the footwell in an attempt to keep it clean, this would have undoubtefly happened sooner.[/img]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

It sounds like you carpet is out of place.

I have two Xantias and there is nothing for the accelerator pedal to catch on in either. The lip you speak of is about an inch below the bottom of the pedal when its pressed into the carpet.

It sounds title you need to get this sorted pretty sharply.
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thanks everyone. The carpet seems immovable, something is amiss. I will sort it asap.

Happy motoring.
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

Might be a case of just glueing the offending part down to keep it out of the way. It's not something I have experienced on the Xantia ( tho on a non-turbo diesel it'd hardly be a heart stopping experience :lol: )

It did happen on my forst CX, a 2.4 semi-auto where the cable had frayed and stuck on full throttle.
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

turn the ignition off

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

if you find yourself doing 90 with the throttle stuck to the floor don't bend down to release it you might crash just dip the clutch and turn the engine off, it will help to keep your eyes on the road.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Re: turn the ignition off

Post by Toby_HDi »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:if you find yourself doing 90 with the throttle stuck to the floor don't bend down to release it you might crash just dip the clutch and turn the engine off, it will help to keep your eyes on the road.
Thats the worst thing you can do, you would lose all servo assistance on the brakes and the power steering. Not to mention other functions

Best thing would be to keep your eyes on the road, and hook your foot under the pedal and pull it back up.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My reaction would be to leave the clutch engaged and just turn off the ignition. Engine braking will reduce the speed and the brake servo and steering would continue to function.
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

I did initially try to hook my foot under the pedal, but my size 11's are a bit too big for the job, hence bending forward to use my hand. Not ideal but it worked.

I don't think turning off the ignition even merits consideration. lol
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Seems strange that nobody has thought about dis-engaging the drive by depressing the clutch and then engaging NEUTRAL, enabling all the powered functions to be usable and allowing the driver to focus on stopping the car safely. What does it matter if the donkey is revving it's nuts off! :roll: :shock:

Handyman
rowanmoor
My Cars:

Post by rowanmoor »

Wasn't it a Xantia - brakes will still work at full strength without the engine running - at least until all presure is gone and the suspension is bottomed out which would be many emergency stops later.

Power steering would go though, but at motorway speeds that shouldn't make too much difference I would have thought. Far safer than bending down under the steering wheel while the car is doing 90mph.

Hooking it up with your foot would be my prefered solution if possible though.

Had a similar effect on my old BX 19TRS when the carb got stuck. Unfortunatly there was no hard shoulder or alternative safe stopping point for about a mile and a half where it happened due to the bad multiple junction layout. I was doing a lot more than 90 with even with the brakes holding it back some before I could pop the clutch and cut the engine to stop safely. Luckily there wasn't too much on the road at the time.
Cheers,
Rowan.