Xantia N/S Inner Driveshaft gaitor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia N/S Inner Driveshaft gaitor

Post by PicassoPigeon »

This has a small split that i have seen. How much for a new one? and how easy to fit, do i need any special tools?

Thank you
gav425
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

this drive shaft is the easyer of the two to remove, as you will need to to fit a new inner gaitor,

once you have removed the hub nut and split the lower swivle and track rod end, them place a tray under were the shaft enters the diff to collect about a litre of gear oil on pulling the shaft out, it is recomended you fit a new diff seal before re/fitting the shaft
regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

And when you pull the joint apart, do it carefully over a bowl - the god-knows-how-many needle rollers inside like to jump out all over the floor!! no special tools required to do this end (beyond those required to remove the drive shaft).
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the only other toll you will need is circlip pliers,
regards malcolm
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Andbody know the GSF part numbers of the things I need?

N45064 CV BOOT KIT-INNER XANTIA ALL EXC 2.1TD £9.45
98020 CV JOINT GREASE-0.5 KILO General Use £2.75

Would the above be right?

Plus some gearbox oil as I plan on changing that while I am there.

98048 FUCHS TITAN GEAR OIL 75W-90 1L GENERAL USE-SYNTHETIC BASE £4.70

Is this the right gear oil? And its 2l of this for the box.

gav425
125,000 miles
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The number for the CV boot looks good to me Gav. the kit usually comes with a sachet of grease so you'll likely not need to buy it separately.

The oil is wrong.

Only ever use 75W/80 in a Xantia 'box. Use preferably Total BV or one of the same 75W/80 grades that specifically states it's for use in certain Pug and Cit gearboxes.

Comma do a good 'un amongst others but don't be tempted or fobbed off with anything else despite some factors telling you a 90 grade will be OK. It won't :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Thanks Jim for your speedy reply. Good job I asked about gear oil could have been in for trouble.

Got to get this done then MOT before we drive off to Newcastle and over to Norway in August.

Cheers Jim. :D :D
125,000 miles
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the inner gaitors are not an MOT faliure, although it needs replacing all the same, also some times if it only a small hole you can clean it up with petrol and super glue the hole
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:if it only a small hole you can clean it up with petrol and super glue the hole
I once cleaned one up carefully and stuck a bicycle tube patch over the hole. It lasted for a few months until I replaced the gaiter :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...