Michelin Energy tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

C.J. wrote:Any other experiences anyone?
I don't know what all the fuss is about, I adapt to what I've got just like I adapt to wet weather, snow, mud etc etc. :lol:
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

MikeT wrote:
C.J. wrote:Any other experiences anyone?
I don't know what all the fuss is about, I adapt to what I've got just like I adapt to wet weather, snow, mud etc etc. :lol:
That's actually quite true Mike. Round, black, legal, adjust driving as deemed neccessary. :lol:

Completely off topic, are you coming to www.outdoorlifestyleshow.co.uk next month seeing as it's down your neck of the woods?
Looks like a great show....and NO, I'm not on the organising side of it.
See my profile for my website to give you an idea of what I'm up to. :wink:
I'm 'performing/exhibiting there, and plan setting off within the next couple of days to get there in time. :shock:
300 miles with a trailer on the back....can't wait. :roll:
At least I'll be comfy now, with fine suspension and new tyres...hopefully. 8)
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

but good grip and stopping ability on the public highway is a must, as is longevity too I suppose.
As is often the case these days, too much choice and so many differing opinions.
Agreed, but above all do NOT exclude the cheap options... these are often as good as the premium brands - no kidding.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

My last Xantia had the original Michelin Energy factory-fitted tyres on the front which lasted to about 55000 miles.

The replacement Michelin Energy's (or Energy Saver as they're now known) were noticeably softer.

I've never had any issues with them as regards grip in the wet. They're not designed to be sporty tyres so don't expect to be able to take 90-degree bends at 60mph in a thunderstorm. :lol: :lol: "Know your limits" as Harry Enfield's Cholmondley-Warner character would say...

Horses for courses I suppose. Some people are happy to stick Colway remoulds on their car - good for them. Others will go for the slightly more expensive option like Klebers (which as far as I know have the same pattern as more expensive Michelin tyres but aren't as hard-wearing). Others again will go for the Michelin Energy option (long life/higher price). And at the other end of the scale you'll have the small minority who'll stick £100 per corner Pirellis on a Xantia.

Who's right and who's wrong out of that lot? Who knows?
ImageImage
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Wanted Michelins for the front of Cassy, but they only had continentals in stock.
Noisiest tyres ever!
I just have to think about turning the steering wheel and they start to squeal!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Horses for courses I suppose. Some people are happy to stick Colway remoulds on their car - good for them. Others will go for the slightly more expensive option like Klebers (which as far as I know have the same pattern as more expensive Michelin tyres
Many of the cheap brands are premium tyres made in the east by factories owned my the parents such as Michelin/Conti - mostly a slightly dated design which is often still pretty good... I would never recommend remoulds, because at the price they are not viable.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
N_CURTIS
My Cars:

Post by N_CURTIS »

Well, I've just had all four tyres replaced on the ZX with Goodyears for 40 quid a corner, which sounded quite good to me. I used to have a 5 series BMW, for which I paid a 100 quid a corner the last time I bought tyres for it.

The same place quoted 30 quid for a budget tyre, but the thing had budget tyres on when I bought it and they were lethal in the wet :shock:

Although they had tread, the rears had no grip in the wet (first time I've lost the rear end of a front wheel drive car without trying) and the sidewalls were all perished. Probably why they lost a few psi over a week or so.

I notice the fronts were past their best when I took the wheels off to fix the brakes on Monday. Thought I'd get the tyres sorted before it rains again.......

Anyway, I've always stuck to branded tyres whatever the car. I'll be interested to see how well these Goodyears last having made a note of the mileage. I had Goodyears put on my AX GT when I (and wish I still) had that. I found them good after having driven it on it's original Michelins, on which the sidewalls were perishing.