1.9TD Engine Weight

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David W
My Cars:

1.9TD Engine Weight

Post by David W »

Thinking about lifting ZX/Xantia TD engines comp with gearbox...
Have a block and tackle to a strong beam that does the job but also may need to use one of those smaller folding engine cranes soon.
Wonder what the engine/gearbox weighs?
David
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

we done my mates zx td with a block and tackle all i can say is use the crane! you'll have much more control over lift, movement etc weight no idea but my back ached for days after!!
G J Wright
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

DJ, got one out at the moment, don't know about weight must be somewhere towards 200kg I would have thought.
Iv'e got a 2ton engine crane and a load leveler, an essential piece of kit when you are on your todd, it enables the object being lifted to be tilted at an angle or ballanced at its c of g just by turning a handle, and the ZX/Xantia TD's have to be lifted out with the box low down or they wont clear the body.
If you want to see a picture of it I will e-mail you one.
Dave
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Thanks guys.
I've done all my lifting so far on the beam in the workshop that was sized for the purpose... but having one of these folding (little spare floor area so it has to fold) engine lifts may increase flexability for some jobs.
Particularly taking out old Series Land Rover gearboxes etc through the door, saves taking off the roof which is needed with a chain on the beam.
So I thought the Citroen 1.9TD engine/gearbox was the heaviest thing I'd use it for and that would determine the capacity. They are available in 500Kg and 1000Kg so I guess either will do....largest best I guess.
Yes Dave I will invest in a load-leveller this time because I do work alone 90% of the time. I've managed in the past but it is a bit hit and miss getting that angle by moving the lift hook along the chain links.
Got a 1.9TD clutch to do next week and another a couple of weeks after.
David
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've always understood that Rover V8's were about 350 lb on their own as were things like BMC B series and Rover 2000 engines. Land Rover engines were about 450 lb and Jaguars could go to 6 or 700. On this rough scale I suppose citroen Diesels would be about 350 and the gearbox which has an aluminium casing after all about 75?
I don't know what the respective costs of your hoists are. I would have thought the larger would be easier to use as the pull needed would be less but you would have to pull miles of chain to get it to move anything. I used to use one to change forklift batteries (about 1 tonne) and it would take forever to raise and lower the things although no real effort was involved.
Jeremy