Xsara/Corsa ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

killie77
My Cars:

Xsara/Corsa ?

Post by killie77 »

Hi
Haven't Posted for a while as I got rid of my ZX 1.9D
a while ago.
Recently bought a Corsa 1.5 TD 1995 44000 Miles
really happy with this little Car excellent Fuel economy and with the IZUSU
engine able I think to take Veg OIl.

So on to the Xsara purchased this the other day with the intention of Selling it on. Usually sell a Car every couple of Weeks. Kind of a Hobby keeps me out of the Pub :roll:

So this Xsara 1.9 TD X 1998 88000 Miles. Nice condition drives well apart from the Clutch Pedal seems a bit high and operation a bit stiff at the Pedal.
Could the auto adjuster be on it's way out ?
Central locking not working don't know if it's a Fuse or the Body Computer as the Courtesy light doesn't come on either. Their kind of minor Problems and I will get them fixed.

So I'm wondering if:
1. I should keep the Xsara as my runabout .
2.. Keep the Corsa ?
Or just bite the Bullet & keep both :?
Any advice more than welcome
Ian.H
Xsara 1.9TD X 88000 Miles
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

So Ian -

What kind of an advice do you really think you get on a Citroen dedicated forum ... ?
... or have you already decided on your own, since you are asking here anyway :lol:

Citroens in general have a high clutch pedal - factory set to 140mm over any carpet/mat level.
A heavy pedal is likely to be a worn cable as the RHD layout is a harsh working condition for the bend cable.
I'd think that 88Kmiles is a bit early to be the clutch itself worn out.

Check your fusebox for the CL/lights problem. Do NOT overrate a fuse that keeps burning out. Intead fit a heavy wattage bulb doing the job for the fuse. Then the bulb will light up instead of a fuse constantly burning out.
Once the problem is found - the bulb will extinguish - as then the overload (or shortcircuit) has disappeared.
Common problems with the CL is chafed cabling in the drivers door to pillar bellow.
Last edited by AndersDK on 07 Jun 2008, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Having driven a 1.7 DCi or whatever Corsa and owning a 1.9D ZX and a BX TD estate I've got to say that a Corsa chassis is absolutely appalling and makes a Morris Minor look sophisticated. To give a couple of examples I felt the thing was going to roll over at 70 MPH on motorway curves - ZX no problem - and over some speed humps I almost destroyed it at 15 MPH and to prove I wasn't daft I drove the ZX over them at 30 and hardly noticed them.

I'd be very happy if I never drove another Corsa again and couldn't believe that anyone still made anything with such an incompetent chassis!

So if you want something that doesn't ride well and feels bad on corners keep the Corsa - otherwise enjoy a well engineered chassis for a change and keep the Xsara and buy another Citroen to keep it company.
jeremy
killie77
My Cars:

Post by killie77 »

Hi
Thanks for all the Suggestions .
I take your Point regarding the Corsa in terms of Handling a Tea Trolley on wheels.
Doesn't even have Power Steering. But it does have very good MPG.
Been driving the Xsara today very pleased with it.
I'm trying to ignore the Clutch being stiff, I might if I keep it try and fit a new Cable as that's what I think is causing the Problem Clutch is OK pulls well no slipping.
As I said in the earlier thread not sure which to get rid of. I like the Corsa for it's small Size and Frugality.
But I'm leaning towards the Xsara had quite a few Citroens never had a Bad one yet.
So will propbably decide over the Weekend which one is for the Chop.
Thanks agin for all the Advice
Ian.H
nick
My Cars:

Re: Xsara/Corsa ?

Post by nick »

killie77 wrote: So this Xsara 1.9 TD X 1998 88000 Miles. Nice condition drives well apart from the Clutch Pedal seems a bit high and operation a bit stiff at the Pedal.
Could the auto adjuster be on it's way out ?
Central locking not working don't know if it's a Fuse or the Body Computer as the Courtesy light doesn't come on either. Their kind of minor Problems and I will get them fixed.
The heavy clutch will probably be a sign that the clutch itself is on its way out, but a new cable is cheap enough & may improve things a bit. I think the setup on the Xsara 1.9TD will be virtually the same as the Xantia with the same engine, but as far as I know the Xsara didn't have the plastic cable clip.

The central locking and courtesy light problem is probably one and the same cause, ie broken wires from the pillar to the door. The courtesy light is operated by the door locks on these. Pull back the black rubber sleeve and see if any wires are broken.

As Xsaras go, an early 1.9 TD is about the simplest version mechanically you can get and shouldn't suffer any major problems.
killie77
My Cars:

Post by killie77 »

That's it the Corsa is now up for Sale
Xsara is now my main Runabout.
Was wondering if anyone knows of a Good (Citroen Independant) in the Glasgow area.
Would like to get the Clutch looked at.
And if it's just the Cable get them to replace it.
Thanks
ian.H
killie77
My Cars:

Post by killie77 »

: UPDATE :
Fixed the Central Locking & Courtesy light.
As predicted it was a Wire in the Door loom.
A brown one to be precise. Their were a couple of other wires in their which
look as if they had been repaired in the Past.
So everything is Ok. except I managed to pull the fuse for the Radio now it's asking for the Code.
Would this be on top of the Radio ?
Thanks
Ian.H
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I`m in the Glasgow area. There used to be a place called Citroen Services about Rutherglen somewhere. Aint used them myself though.

Get the spanners out :lol:

Corsas..............don`t they look good parked outside a chippy?. Did your model have any friction burns from shell suits :lol:

When the alternator goes on the diesel Corsa it is £300. it has the vac pump for the brakes on it.........rusty little Chav cars!!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

lexi wrote: When the alternator goes on the diesel Corsa it is £300.
A mate with a Primera needed a new alternator, cost him £600.
When that one went to the carpark in the sky - he bought another!
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

Anything specific to the Isuzu engine is expensive - which is usually why they go to the crusher. My neighbour had a cavalier with the 1.7 TD engine - £140 for an exchange starter!
A work colleague had an astra with the same lump - a rubber coolant hose specific to the car cost £60! Suffice to say it got weighed in. One to avoid methinks.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
killie77
My Cars:

Post by killie77 »

Have heard about the Alternator Problems
their well documented . Something about the Izusu Engine needing to be modified by GM. If they go their about £85 for a new one.
Chav :idea:
This Corsa belonged to someone who had it as a Mobility Car.
Must have Arms like Popeye as It's got no Power Steering :D
Ian.H
bigjl2
My Cars:

Post by bigjl2 »

I reckon you are right to keep the Xsara, much larger car and I have seen them go for very little cash down at the auction, whereas some; or all, corsas go for stupid money down south.
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

killie77 wrote:Was wondering if anyone knows of a Good (Citroen Independant) in the Glasgow area.
Graham Harper is excellent http://www.grahamharper.com/index.html - his 'yard' is a bit tough to find though! You have to go though a (very narrow) ginnel by a pedestrian crossing, then follow the Citroens to the corner of the 'car park' inside!

The heavy clutch is most likely to be the clutch itself - these pull clutches go heavy with use. Changing the cable might help, but be warned if the car has A/C you probably can't change the cable without disconnecting the A/C pipes at the bulkhead :roll:
Richard W
killie77
My Cars:

Post by killie77 »

Hi Richard
Thanks for the Link .
The Car doesn't have AC it's the Base Model.
I think your right and it's propbablt due a Clutch. I mighgt have a Crack at changing th Cable on my own, t least that will be one thing out of the way.
Thanks again
Ian.H