Zero compression on a Saxo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

After a lot of hard work by the owner's dad and a bit from me, I'm pleased to say the car is now back on the road and running like it should.

£80 saw a replacement engine from the scrappy and it turned out to be a good 'un. We replaced the water pump, cambelt and clutch before we craned the new engine in.

We found two faults: One was a broken spigot on a pipe from the inlet manifold to the breather which let a lot of unmetered air in and caused a weak mixture and secondly, a missing rubber ring on the rad cap which would have upset the cooling system a little. The old engine had zero anti-freeze in it and the water was rather rusty; it looks like it had been consuming copious quantities beforehand and running hot. The cooling fan was running rather frequently before it went pop.

A good result all round. The only difficult bit was bleeding the cooling system. They're a right little bleeder to do :roll: and a header tank is essential for the job.

When I have some time, I'll strip the old engine and determine just how much damage occurred.

Those little Saxos really are a joy to work on :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Glad you got it finished Jim! :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

good to hear its been resusatated, they arnt usualy a job to bleed, i never use the header tank method on any of the cit/pug engines, maybe your bleeding prob was due to the crap in the cooling system

regards malcolm