Fitting Electric Leather Seats into a Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Fitting Electric Leather Seats into a Xantia

Post by CitroJim »

If you can get hold of a set, leather seats from a top-of-the-range Xantia make for a fantastic upgrade, especially if you have well worn Alcantara seats.

Not only do they look nice, the electric controls make them infinitely adjustable and they are incredibly comfortable :lol:

You may even be lucky and obtain a set with working seat heaters although they fail quickly and it is therefore unusual to find them in working order. The passenger seat is more likely to have a woring heater.

The following points should be noted before thinking about the swap:

1. Seats from an S2 vehicle will fit an S1 vehicle with provisos.
2. Seats from an S1 vehicle strictly cannot be fitted to an S2 car as they have no side airbags in them.
3. Hatch rear seats will not easily fit an Estate and vice-versa.
4. Seatbelt pretensioner connections are diffferent between S1, early and late S2. Wiring changes may be needed.

If purchasing a set of seats, make sure you get the full seat wiring loom and the heater controls that fit in the centre console tray. If putting S2 seats in an S1, also get the front seatbelts complete with bolts and the rear seatbelt buckles that bolt to the floorpan. They are significantly different. You do not need to change the upper rear belts that go to the inertia reels, only the lower sections.

Also get the pretensioner plugs from the donor loom plus about 6 inches of wire as you may need to change the pretensioner wiring.

Removal of the rear seats from a donor is easy. Six bolts hold the backs in and four nuts hold the bases. The removal of the front seats demand that they are still able to be powered; they are impossible to remove if they cannot be powered from one end of their rails to the other in order to remove the front and rear mounting bolts.

When all the front seat mounting bolts are out, the electrical connections can be disconnected. The main one is a rectangular connector with two thick wires and a number of thin ones. There is also (on the S2 at least) a thin earth wire to a whitre connector, the seatbelt pretensioner connection on either an orange (S1) or brown (S2) plug and the side airbag on a green plug (S2 only). Observe normal precautions when disconnecting the airbags on S2 seats.

Remove the seats and seatbelts from the car. Remove the centre console and trace the wiring looms from the seats into the centre console. You will find the loom is earthed to a stud on the passengers side crossmember under the seat and also a thin earth wire between the seats and earthing to the same point.

If you follow the loom into the centre console, you will see that it mostly ends at the seat heater controls and one or maybe two thick wire(s) disappear off in the direction of the fascia fusebox. If you initially see two thick wires, at some point in the loom you'll find these will join and become one. Unpick as much of the main loom as possible to get as much length of these wires out as possible. This is the main power feed that eventually ends up on a 40A fuse in the fusebox.

Take a careful note of how the whole loom sits in the donor car if possible as you have to replicate it in the receiving car.

the next post will detail fitting.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Assuming the old seats are out, the frst task in fitting the seats is to remove the centre console to enable the seat loom to be laid in.

If you are replacing semi-electric cloth seats as found in some S2 Activa models, this part can be skipped as the wiring connectors to supply motor power (but not heating) is already in place for both driver and passenger seats. If you want to forego heating, the most difficult job is done in these cars.

Lay in the electric seat loom as it was in the donor and leave the end of the thick power feed wire accessible for now. Replace the centre console after installing and connecting the heater controls. Ensure you have connected the electric seat loom earth to the earth stud on the crossmember.

Ensure your wiring is neat and that none of the electric loom will be squashed by the seat runner rails when in position or that any wiring fouls the handbrake , height lever or gear lever. Make sure no wiring is trapped anywhere when the centre console is refitted.

If installing S2 seats in an S1, remove and replace the front seatbelts with S2 items and replace the three rear seat lower belt buckles. This is necessary as the S1 rear seats have cutouts in the bases to take the buckles whereas the S2 seats don't. When not in use the buckles clip into clips on the seat backs whereas in the S1, the buckles slip neatly into the cutouts. The webbing straps on the S2 belts are significantly longer.

Fit the rear seats complete. Job done there.

Remove the front seat plastic side trims (they just pull off) and lay in the front drivers seat. With it tipped back, plug in the rectangular loom connector. Inspect the seatbelt pretensioner and airbag wiring and do whatever changes are needed. If putting S2 seats with side airbags in an S1 car, make no connection whatever to the green airbag plug. S1 cars have an orange plug for the pretensioners which is incompatible with the brown early S2 pretensioner connector in which case it is necesssary to chop off the old orange connector and wire in the brown plug you rescued from the donor. Either solder and heatshrink the joints or use red crimp butts. The crimping must be done well. Late S2 cars may not have plugs at all, the airbag and pretensioner wiring being connected to the seats via crimp butts.

Arrange for a temporary 12V supply to the seat loom thick wire. Take this, for convenience for now, from the cigar lighter or a spare battery via a fuse. Motor the seat right back to its rearward extent and insert the two front mounting bolts. Don't yet fully tighten them. If putting S2 seats in an S1 car, use the S1 plastic mounting pads and not the S2 rubber and plastic pads.

Motor the seat to its fully forward position and insert and tighten the three rear mounting bolts. The front bolts were left loose to enable the rear mounting holes to be aligned. Attach the lower seatbelt shackle to the side of the seat and replace the cover trim. Finally motor the seat right back and tighten the front mounting bolts.

Repeat for the passengers side.

The electrical feed really needs to be supplied from the fuse box but to get to the back side of the fusebox is really a dash out job. The cigar lighter feed is adequate for a semi-permanant supply. Just remember the cigar lighter is permanantly live by default and if the seat heaters are left on, the battery may flatten overnight. Don't be tempted to take the seat supply from the blower motor. This feed is under enough stress as it is, esopecially in S1 cars without the ignition switch mod and besides, fan on, HRW on and a motoring seat will pop the fuse!

At this time, I'm just running on the cigar lighter but will soon fit an ignition switched relay. I'll post up full details of that when I do the job.

I will also post how to pick up a permanant supply from the fusebox when my heater natrix gets replaced.

Fitting the seats is a bit of work but well worth it :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy1 wrote:I've got loadsaquestions mainly due to me not having all the bits you mention, heater switches, S2 seat belt mounts etc etc.
Fire away with any questions :D What I have described above is the ideal. If you are missing any of the ancillaries, there are plenty of ways around it and need not preclude fitting these wonderful seats.

Hope all goes well with the aquisition of an Activa. We all await news :wink:
Jim

TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

wheres the pictures Jim, come on your slacking, such a nice and informative post with out pictures. (not of the fitting but of the finish)

Anyway welcome to the world of leather :D
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I've never bothered with leather seats much but if the car has them, fine.
I prefer the warmer and still hard wearing velour found in Xantiae and Xm's.
I've got a few Xantiae with them and I must admit to not taking a lot of
notice of exactly what they're all about but aren't there electric AND non
electric one's. I'm sure I got a set that weren't wired. Certainly easier to
fit in a lower spec version and this is certainly possible with Xm's...

Andrew
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Any tips for fitting MK1 Activa seats and doorcards to my MK2 (which does not have side airbags)?

As the front doorcards won't fit (and they don't have the extra pocket which I'd like to retain) is it possible to swap just the material/trim card?

The middle rear seat belt - will I need the anchor part from a MK1?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

A few TIPS for you all here.

Andrew, YES there IS manual Leather as well as electric. Though the electric IS more adjustable....

Jim, Heaters DO work in my S2 HDi exclusive Xantia... Which is Lovly!

Everyone: Air Bags are NOT an MOT Test Item, so the point about Side Air Bags does NOT count above, in an S2 car - which dont ALL have Side bags, simple remove the Side Air bag warning Lamp, as its a seperate lamp to the front Airbag Warning Lamp ..

S1 and S2 seats are interchangeable, as for rear door cards HOWEVER, Front door cards are also exactly the same around the speaker and mirror/window controls part, you DO need to modify the Door ever so slightly either way your swapping.. and it should fit PERFECTLY.

S2 Door card into a S1 Door. Looking straight ON at the card with the door open, Drivers side UK CARS, the right hand END securing screw is in a slightly further across to the end of the door. Problem? NO, Very simply drill a small pilot hole that the door card screw will Self Tap into! Easy!

The same goes for fitting S1 cards into a S2 door, the hole for the Plastic Lug that the securing screw screws into is already present, IIRC, so its more of a case of swapping the plastic screw lug !! If im wrong, then the same procedure as drilling a S1 door for S2 card!

S2 Anti pinch window winders DO fit S1 doors and vice versa..

I know all this because I HAVE been here and done it all.. :wink:

Im not guessing. :lol: :lol:

Regards
Paul

O M B G!! I didn't take notice of the dates in the Topic!! Opppsss...... :oops:
Last edited by citroenxm on 02 Dec 2010, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I know there are manual leather interiors Paul. That last comment of mine
was posted x2 years ago before I realised I just don't like leather interiors!!
Anyone want to buy one of my x2 manual black leather interiors?
No electrickery required...

Andrew
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

I would and still would one day.. Ive got to organise collecting an Electric Set yet!

Sorry andrew, I just glanced over the topic, didn't even take notice of the dates

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: The middle rear seat belt - will I need the anchor part from a MK1?
Hi Mike,

Yes, you'll ideally need the MK1 centre lap reel and buckle. Also, strictly you'll need the buckles for the two outside belts as well. MK1 and MK2 are very different in this respect.

You could use the MK2 middle static lap belt with the MK1 seat but it won't be perfect...
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:
MikeT wrote: The middle rear seat belt - will I need the anchor part from a MK1?
Hi Mike,

Yes, you'll ideally need the MK1 centre lap reel and buckle. Also, strictly you'll need the buckles for the two outside belts as well. MK1 and MK2 are very different in this respect.

You could use the MK2 middle static lap belt with the MK1 seat but it won't be perfect...
Mike,

If you need but haven't got these item's then give me a shout asap as I may be able to source them for you from a car that is going to be crushed very soon.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
Hi Mike,

Mike,

If you need but haven't got these item's then give me a shout asap as I may be able to source them for you from a car that is going to be crushed very soon.
Hi Dickie,

Yes please, that would be great if you could salvage them. I don't have any other MK1 parts but the seats and door cards.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

citroenxm wrote:S1 and S2 seats are interchangeable, as for rear door cards HOWEVER, Front door cards are also exactly the same around the speaker and mirror/window controls part, you DO need to modify the Door ever so slightly either way your swapping.. and it should fit PERFECTLY.

The same goes for fitting S1 cards into a S2 door, the hole for the Plastic Lug that the securing screw screws into is already present, IIRC, so its more of a case of swapping the plastic screw lug !! If im wrong, then the same procedure as drilling a S1 door for S2 card!

S2 Anti pinch window winders DO fit S1 doors and vice versa..

I know all this because I HAVE been here and done it all.. :wink:

Im not guessing. :lol: :lol:

When you say S1 front cards will fit S2 doors, do you know if it's possible to swap the required parts that give the secret storage under the arm rest/door handle?
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Hi mike,

Just put the whole door card on, its an all in one... its only one screw thats different, under the end of the "Secret Compartment" handle, the rest are ALL exactly the same... just drill out a small hole at the edge of the door for the end securing screw....

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Question for the font of all Xantia seat knowledge !

Do the heated seats have different elements for each heat setting or are the heat settings controlled by an electronic regulator ?

I ask this because the heated seats in my S2 Exclusive only work on the highest setting.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !