How to change coolant on Xantia HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tricky ricky
My Cars:

How to change coolant on Xantia HDi

Post by tricky ricky »

Hi.

Just done a service on my Xantia. The only thing left to do is a coolant change. I have never done this before and had a quick look for bleed screws etc and cannot see anything. Can anyone tell me the correct procedure for doing the job on this car and anything to look out for.

Cheers Richard.
1987 BX16RE

1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Either you should have a plastic bleed screw facing the engine down below on the radiator, or you will have to remove one of the lower hoses completely from its stud to bleed the system.

Have handy a rather large container as the system holds some 5-7 liters.

The bleeding process runs much faster, if you open one of the vent valves on top of the engine - or at least remove the radiator cap.

Dont try remove the hoses from radiator as these are sort of a bajonet fitting VERY reluctant to let loose.
Instead remove from studs on the engine.
You should flush the system, engine and radiator with a garden hose - several times, every other time reverse flushing. That will remove the crud.

When re-filling use a 33% solution (1:2 - coolant : water)which will cover the worst UK winter frost you ever get.
Its your personal choice on type of coolant. There are new environment friendly coolant types around as well.
Use demineralised water (you need 5L to a 2.5L bottle of coolant).

Its VERY important the cooling system is completely vented on completion. Look in the handy tips section for a description on a homemade header tank or this purpose.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
tricky ricky
My Cars:

Post by tricky ricky »

Thanks for the reply. But where are the bleed points on the HDi? On the BX they are at the top of the rad, on the thermostat housing and on the heater bar that runs along the back of the engine.
1987 BX16RE

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I have no idea on the HDI.

But looking at your BX should give you the general idea. After all its in no way rocket science - despite the advanced HDI performance engine.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
tricky ricky
My Cars:

Post by tricky ricky »

I'm very much aware on how to change coolant. All I want to know is how to bleed the system after refilling on this car as I cannot see any bleed screws.
1987 BX16RE

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I had a look on service.citroen - the only bleed screw I can see is on the top hose outlet from the thermostat housing. There MIGHT be a bleed screw on the bulkhead fitting for the matrix connector too.
Richard W
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

Hi tricky ricky,

done this a couple of months ago on my 109 bhp HDi...

There is a plastic bleeding screw on the left hand side on the radiator. Just turn it 90 degrees anti clockwise to open it.

To bleed the air from the system, there is a screw on the thermostat housing and another one on the "wall" to the passenger compartment on the hose to the heater matrix.

Karel
tricky ricky
My Cars:

Post by tricky ricky »

Thanks guys.

I'll take another look tomorrow. I was sure I could not see anything on the thermostat housing. Must have missed that one.

Cheers Guys!
1987 BX16RE