3 point belt hatch Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

3 point belt hatch Xantia

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Is it possible to buy a replacement 3 point belt for the middle rear seat and remove the lap strap?
I think I'm right it saying the estate has 3 point belts but they dont fit the hatchback Xantia.

I will need them when my children get a bit bigger. Got 3 child seats across the back now. A baby seat will fit well on the lap strap in the middle but this is no good when said child out grows the seat.

gav425
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed the estate does have a middle three-point lap/diagonal belt. The inertia reel is actually inside the back of the seat so the belt itself won't directly fit the hatch seat back. The belt, when not in use thus retracts right into the seat. Very neat.

The seat backs are different in the latch area which rules out a simple, direct swap. However, having said that, John (jgra1) has successfully done the swap one way (can't recall which now) so a swap the other way should be possible. have a word with John.

My kids tell me the centre lap/diagonal belt works excellently :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi guys I did estate into hatch..

Will try to scrawl some bits together very soon...

John
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Thanks for your help. A fitting instruction from estate to hatch would be great to have.

gav425
125,000 miles
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Hi John,
Have you got this seat swap on your blog anywhere? I would love to get a set of estate seats into my hatch as with 3 growing children the mid 3 point would be great.

Thanks.
gav425
125,000 miles
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Is there any news of a "how to" on this topic as I would like to do the swap from estate to hatch, so I can sit my 9yr old in the middle with the 5yr old on one side and the 3yr old on the other.

Please... :D

gav
125,000 miles
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I don't wish to discourage you, but remember that there may be Construction & Use / insurance implications, and more importantly, if the latching system and its body mounting points aren't identical to the originals, the seat back and belt mounting may come adrift in the event of an accident.
I'd be inclined to seek the opinion of a suitably qualified engineer, at least :?
Sorry to sound so negative!
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

dnsey wrote:I don't wish to discourage you, but remember that there may be Construction & Use / insurance implications, and more importantly, if the latching system and its body mounting points aren't identical to the originals, the seat back and belt mounting may come adrift in the event of an accident.
I'd be inclined to seek the opinion of a suitably qualified engineer, at least :?
Sorry to sound so negative!
That's ok it is only what needs to be said. What you have said is only the truth.

Thank you for your valued input

gav
125,000 miles
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

oops Gav sorry missed this..

um...

I wonder how to answer this...

I agree with dnsey but... I think you could easily make estate seats very safe in a hatch, with some attention payed to all the tricky areas...
the main area of contention is the mounts for the base/back center brackets (offset as 2/1 split)

the main latches that hold the seats back are very strong in my car, more so then the original hatch locking pins..

to be honest, these should take most of the strain in an impact...

there are issues with fitting estate seats in cosmetic terms...

I am reaching for a tin hat as I write

:shock: :D
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Does anybody know what sort of cost it would be to have a 3 point belt fitted in the middle rear. I know the best way would be to buy an estate but would like to keep the Xantia I have now if possible.

Thank you to everybody who has replied.

gav
125,000 miles