Xantia sunroof fix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

seedy
My Cars:

Xantia sunroof fix

Post by seedy »

I thought I'd share my experience of fixing a Xantia sunroof (may also be relevant to other makes of tilt-and-slide glass roof). All the stuff I read seemed to say you'd need to take out the headlining and so on, but that isn't so for all problems.

We bought a 150 pound Xantia and later found the roof wasn't working - wasn't even fixed in properly. It explained the funny-shaped piece of cast metal in the door pocket. You could lift the rear of the roof by pushing from underneath. and although the motor sounded like it worked, no movement of the glass.

You can remove the glass for easy access by removing 2 torx screws each side under the glass. Then you can play with the glass carriers quite easily. The problem with ours was broken plastic widgets that slide in the runners. The cast metal levers that lift and drag the roof were free to move alone.

The fix here was 2 cable ties each side. (I've lost count of the number of cable-tie-fixes I have done in the past - the best invention since the TV off-button). The ties were used to hold the metal levers against the leccy-powered sliders that still moved back and fwd ok. You can test it with the glass out, which is safer for fingers. By the way, always take care to have the ignition off whilst fiddling with the glass in place - I'd hate to be in the newspapers for a silly error.

Last point - use tippex to mark the cast metal levers 'left' and 'right', or you can spend ages trying to figure how they fit.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Allow me to be first to say a warm "Welcome" seedy.

A very useful and informative first post.

I almost wish I had a sunroof to fiddle with still.