2000 - 2003 Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi Checklist

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

willinot

2000 - 2003 Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi Checklist

Post by willinot »

Hi,

Im in the market to purchase a Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi.

Due to budget I was looking for one around 2000 - 2002.

Can you give me any advice on what too look for when purchasing one of these cars.

Ive read that they have issues with clutchs, suspension and a FAP filter.

Any further information or correction of the above will be greatly appreciated.

ps: I applogise if a similar question has been posted before and I did search through the archive before postingbut could not find what I wanted.

Thanks and regards.

Paul.
Last edited by willinot on 27 May 2008, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I would be suspicious of any HDi that didn't start and run perfectly, both hot & cold. If the engine takes loads of cranking to start this can indicate possible fuel system problems which can be expensive to fix.

Check all the electrics work properly, if not this can be caused by problems with the BSI on multiplexed Citroens which again can be expensive.

There are rumours of clutch problems on HDis, but this seems to be entirely down to the dual mass flywheel fitted on some.
No 2.0 HDi Xsara or Picasso was fitted with a DMF, so this won't be a problem on the ones you're looking at. (Some of the more recent 1.6 HDi versions do have them)

Again, no 2 litre Xsaras/Picassos had FAP filters, only the 1.6 sometimes did.
willinot

Post by willinot »

Thanks Nick. What about overheating and radiator problems. Again its something Ive came across on internet searches so just want to make sure Im looking in the right areas over and above the standard things to look for.

Cheers.

Paul.
willinot

Post by willinot »

Also, what is the road tax on the 2000 model. Is it £120per year.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Cheap tax only applies from March 2001 onwards, so only on a Y plater or newer. Anything older than Y will pay £185 at current prices.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Been reading and hearing a great deal about DMF's failing recently. What actually causes this expensive failure, and what can be done to reduce the risk, or is it inevitable on all modern diesels....presumably doesn't apply to petrol driven cars?
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

C.J. wrote:Been reading and hearing a great deal about DMF's failing recently. What actually causes this expensive failure, and what can be done to reduce the risk, or is it inevitable on all modern diesels....presumably doesn't apply to petrol driven cars?
I believe the failure occurs due to the bond between the rubber and metal sections of the flywheel not holding. This happened to my Mum's Gold TDi @ 3,000 miles :shock: whilst it was out of warranty VW only asked her to contribute £100 thankfully.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The way to reduce the risk is to take it off, throw it away and fit a proper flywheel. I know a conversion kit is available for the HDi.

The failure occurs because it is a stupid idea. Somebody has sat down and given a lot of thought to how they can introduce a new way for a car to break down expensively. Just when they develop the technology to extract massive amounts of torque from a diesel engine they develop a flywheel that can't handle it?

I strongly suspect the DMF of making our C5 lethargic when it has the same engine as the much livelier Xantia.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

reblack68 wrote:The way to reduce the risk is to take it off, throw it away and fit a proper flywheel. I know a conversion kit is available for the HDi.
So what difference would you notice.....not that I've got an HDi YET. :roll:

What's the point of a DMF anyway? Something to do with reducing vibration is it?
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

C.J. wrote: What's the point of a DMF anyway? Something to do with reducing vibration is it?
Its to reduce noise. And apparently money in your wallet.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

This might help http://youtube.com/watch?v=YnaXB8q3uzQ
It shows what a Dual Mass Flyweel looks like.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

mooseshaver wrote:This might help http://youtube.com/watch?v=YnaXB8q3uzQ
It shows what a Dual Mass Flyweel looks like.
Couldn't get any sound/explanation to go with that link Moose', otherwise quite a helpful clip, thanks.

Sorry Paul. I/we seem to have hijacked your Picasso thread here. :oops:
All relevamt though I suppose.

I had one of the very first 2.0 HDi Picasso's to be registered up here on merseyside, back in June 2000, and it proved to be a very satisfying and reliable car over 3 years and 40k.
It has it's design faults, as I told Citroen HQ. The worst one being the appauling dash reflection onto the screen, since sorted with a darker dash now I believe. All in all a great car though, and my mate who works for a Citroen main agent, reckons it's still a better all round car than the new C4 Picasso with all its fancy electronic gadetry. :roll:
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

willinot

Post by willinot »

Many thanks guys. All posts are good, the more info I have the better.

Cheers.

Paul.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi,

Some info about dual mass flywheels on Lucas site - http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/pr ... zms_sv.jsp

I'm under the impression that on some vehicles it's recommended to replace the flywheel when doing the clutch so the bill for parts can be over 1K - Audi maybe?

Anyhow back to the original question, Car Mechanics magazine did an article in the April 2008 on diesel diagnostics. If you can get hold of a copy it was a good article.

Steve.
not applicable
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

willinot wrote: What about overheating and radiator problems. Again its something Ive came across on internet searches so just want to make sure Im looking in the right areas over and above the standard things to look for.
I don't know if that relates specifically to the Picasso, but the HDi isn't particularly known for cooling problems. Direct injection diesels pass less heat into the cooling system than indirect injection so the cooling doesn't need to be quite so heavy duty.
Head gasket failures aren't unheard of on the HDi, but aren't all that common. The 2.2 seems to suffer more than the 2.0.