hard xantia after new spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kr1s
My Cars:

hard xantia after new spheres

Post by kr1s »

Hi All

New to the forum, great wealth of knowledge on here...
I own a 99 xantia 2.0 hdi sx hatch back, just done 65k. I tend to look after it myself being an ex mechanic and all that but this latest problem has me baffled....!!

I replaced all 4 corner spheres yesterday and changed the LHM, straight forward job you would expect, road tested after and the front end is solid. On the bounce test the NS has some movement but the OS is like an old knackered sphere?? Any ideas guys.

Ive read on here that it could be the accumulator or an overful lhm tank? I cant see the latter afecting the rigidity of the system but Im going to try it. Only other thing I can think is its a dodgy new sphere, but id be surprised.....

Your comments welcome and thanks in advance - chris b
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: hard xantia after new spheres

Post by DickieG »

kr1s wrote:On the bounce test the NS has some movement but the OS is like an old knackered sphere??
It sounds as if you have either a flat sphere or the wrong one, have you checked the numbers on them?
kr1s wrote:Ive read on here that it could be the accumulator or an overful lhm tank?
A flat accumulator won't really affect the ride as its purpose is to be a reserve of pressure for the system and braking in particular. You can check it by listening for how frequently the pressure regulator clicks as it cuts in, it should be in excess of 30 seconds apart. Another way is to start the engine and get the car to normal ride height then turn it off and sit in the boot, if the accumulator is OK then after sinking as you sit, it should rise a few seconds later and regain the correct height. Over filling the LHM tank will do no more than make a mess :mrgreen:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

citaerobics - CITAEROBICS - citaerobics - CITAER .....

- try it :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
kr1s
My Cars:

Post by kr1s »

Thanks Dickie

Looks like the wrong spheres then !! Im still being blighted by incorrect parts supply...! The accumulator has a good healthy tick and the rear suspension is spot on so looks like Im onto my supplier in the morning and having a hard ride untill then!

I cant check the numbers as they arnt from gsf, there from my local factors with a bespoke number. I had to ring them to differentiate between front and rear.

Id suggest charging them for my time but to have a smooth ride again will suffice.

I'll let you know as Im sure this thread will help others.

Chris B
kr1s
My Cars:

Post by kr1s »

Just an update - Ive taken the front spheres off and replaced with the old ones for now - and they feel a lot better!!

The os sphere jetted pressurised lhm out of its valve (in the sphere) as I removed it - now surely this isnt normal??

Any way Im going to return them tomorrow and see what the supplier says - might order some from gsf - there 3 quid cheaper aswell!!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

kr1s wrote:The os sphere jetted pressurised lhm out of its valve (in the sphere) as I removed it - now surely this isnt normal??
No its not, as that is a sure sign of a ruptured membrane, I take it they are re-gassed ones? Any clues as to the source/what make they are?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
kr1s
My Cars:

Post by kr1s »

At least I know what it is then DickieG.

Im afraid the background of them is vague. They are from my local factor and just have a number on them ( GBS285 ). I assume they are reconditioned?

Im glad they are off the car now if they are the wrong ones/faulty.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

do the replacement spheres have a valve insted of a blanking kniple on the ends, as this means they are re/gassed not brand new, as Dikie G says you have got one completly shot sphere
regards malcolm
kr1s
My Cars:

Post by kr1s »

Hi Malcolm

They have a blanking plug on the end but it just felt like the wrong sphere or faulty as they were literally rock hard, I put the old ones on and the car felt better!

Im returning them tommorow. Pretty disapointed as I was looking forward to some ultra smooth ride quality !
kr1s
My Cars:

Post by kr1s »

The parts guys reckon the spheres are definatley the right ones so my guess is they are faulty.
I pick two new ones up tonight so fingers crossed ......
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when they spout a jet of citro blood out they are cream crackerd no ifs and buts,

also there are some companys selling factory (not citroen) re/coned spheres which do have the same kniple as originale and new spheres
regards malcolm
kr1s
My Cars:

Post by kr1s »

Cheers malcolm
I have no doubt now that they are faulty

I will post an update tonight after Ive fitted yet more spheres!!

Chris B
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:when they spout a jet of citro blood out they are cream crackerd no ifs and buts,
But if you have a situation where the anti-sink valve has closed before the main hydraulic pressure is released at the pressure regulator, the spheres themselves will remain under considerable pressure and LHM will spray out with some force when the sphere is unscrewed.

The correct way to depressurise an anti-sink is to release the bleed screw with the suspension on low and the engine running. This will release pressure from the corner spheres before the anti-sink valves close.

If a sphere is found to contain a considerable quantity of LHM upon removal than that is a good sign it is totally flat or the membrane is ruptured.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
kr1s
My Cars:

Post by kr1s »

Is the antisink the rear middle sphere ? Whats the best way to test this? Surely this cant lead to rock hard front suspension? Doesnt it just stop the car falling when left overnight etc ? (sorry for the barrage of questions!)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

off topic and one of those 'you had to be there moments'

I was at my local wreckers, (GW bridges - big one on M23) and I was taking some rear hubs/arms from a metro to use for a car trailer (I just wanted the drums I think)

anyway, not knowing anything about pressurised LHM, I cut one of the hydraulic pipes and the damn thing sprayed a poor chap about 10 meters away, with LHM ! He was covered.... was just walking by at the wrong moment... fate I think..

I couldn't really do much but stare in a kind of dispair with a hint of a grin .. I apologised profusely whilst he walked off with green hair and an odd demeanour

'sorry again! ' if you ever read this...

J
:D