Stop Light At Start Up

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

timbo101
My Cars:

Stop Light At Start Up

Post by timbo101 »

Hello all,

Sorry to ask another question but I am still getting used to the complicated workings of my xantia.
Two days ago when I started the car in the morning the stop light and the (O) light stay on for about 5 seconds before they go out which they have never done before. It now does it every time when I start the car when the car has not beed driven for a couple of hours. If i turn the car off and go back to it about half an hour later it does not do it but first thing in the morning and at the end of the day after work when it has not been started for several hours it does it every time.
Does this make sense to anyone and is it anything to worry about.
Many thanks..Tim
1997 Xantia 2.1 TD SX Estate
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'd say this is the normal behaviour. It is in fact NOT common to start the car with no hydraulic warning lights waiting to extinguish.

If you are 100% sure all liquids in your engine bay is up to scratch, then there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

You may try vent the suspension for any air or gasses, by doing the Citaerobics. This often calms the system down to "what it used to do".
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

Thats quite normal behaviour. It's just because the system loses some hydraulic pressure when the engine is off, so when the pressure is low the light will come on.

So when you start the engine, it will say stop until it is up to working pressure. Obviously the longer the light stays on the more tired the suspension is, in which case do what anders says, some citrobeotics, a quick search on that term will get you the way to do it.

How often do you hear the 'Click' from the engine bay, this is the accumulator sphere (backup pressure), a healthy one should click around 20 - 30 seconds an unhealthy would click more often, less than 15 seconds appart.