Xantia Wiper Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

trog1960

Xantia Wiper Problem

Post by trog1960 »

Appear to have developed an odd wiper problem on my 96 TD Xantia.
Wipers appear to have developed a mind of their own, not turning off, turning on for no apparent reason.
Have removed the column switch but this appears OK does anyone know of any common problems that might cause the above?

Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You should still suspect the column switch, as there is also a timer relay involved. The timer relay only needs a smallish engagement current to start off a wiper timing cycle. Such a weak currnt can easy flow on a partially burnt switch path.

Its the first time I've heard of this problem on the wipers though. This sort of problem is much more commonly found on the side indicators column switch - for the same reason as described above.

BTW : try rock the relays in their sockets, to make their spade connectors slide a wee bit in the sockets. This will clear any corrosion on the connectors. On completion make sure all reays are pushed fully home in their sockets. The relays are found in/near the dash fuse box.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
trog1960

Post by trog1960 »

Thanks for the reply....took the stalk switch completely apart and it appears clean with no burning or contamination.
Will check the timer relay but on further investigation, I can hear an odd "fizzing" noise sometimes from around the wiper motor area and wonder whether the problem might be there, maybe the wiper park switch as they'll sometimes stop in the middle of the screen...trouble is, it looks like a major job to get at the wiper motor.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

trog1960 wrote:trouble is, it looks like a major job to get at the wiper motor.
Fairly, but not as bad as it initially looks. The first task is to remove the windscreen scuttle trim, the top edge of which is bonded to the bottom of the windscreen glass. If it has been sealed with silicone it will be OK but sometimes more agressive sealants are used and these nay require more force and care to avoid cracking the screen. On reassembly, it must be well sealed again to avoid water getting into the passenger footwell via the heater intake.

Oce the trim is off, access is OK.

From the symptoms, the wiper motor is a bit suspect.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
trog1960

Post by trog1960 »

Thanks all...problem now solved and part sorted....after spending half the day getting the wiper motor out only to find no problem I had another go at locating the wiper relay/controller....eventually found it lurking up behind some other relays....well hidden (it's directly above the gas pedal with a screw tab mounting).
Once I got it out and emptied the water out of it I figured I'd found the problem....perfectly placed to catch drips running down the wires.
Anyway...took it apart, dried and cleaned it and wipers now work more or less as expected, just no intermittent...probably won't bother spending the 40 quid the main dealer wants for a new one (it would double the value of the car though!!) but might have a look at the breakers sometime.
Makes you wonder how many other different electical faults are down to soggy, upsidedown relays.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good detective work in finding the problem :D
trog1960 wrote: Makes you wonder how many other different electical faults are down to soggy, upsidedown relays.
A lot and moisture getting ito multi plugs as well, especially those under the passenger footwell carpet and passenger seat. This is one consequence of a leaky windscreen scuttle trim; lots of water in the passenger footwell and electrical issues, especially with the alarm as that lives under the passenger seat.

It is rare for water to get into the drivers side though and bears investigation as to why the wiper relay got so damp.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...