Front brake imbalance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paco
My Cars:

Front brake imbalance

Post by paco »

hi

just picked up the Xantia from the mot station, along with a new mot certificate, on the advisery note it states that the front wheels just met the imbalance reguirement.

does anyone what this is and what is the cure.

regards
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

It means one front brake is pulling up harder than the other but is within limits at the time of testing. Without more info, it's difficult to suggest why and what the fix is but a brake service has to be done at some point and now seems like a good time.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The most likely cause is a partially seized caliper due to a buildup of dirt and corrosion.

Pull the pads out, have a good look at them and give everyting a real good cleanup. Check the calipers are free to slide from side to side on their runners and that the pads are free to move within the caliper. Check the pads are wearing evenly. Uneven wear may indicate a partially seizing piston. If this is indicated, check the dust seal is intact on the piston and has not split and let water in to cause corrosion on the piston.

Check the handbrake cables are properly adjusted and that the automatic adjustment mechanism is working correctly on both calipers.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

If this is ur first xantia, note the pistons wind in and out, not push like some cars.
paco
My Cars:

Post by paco »

thanks for the replys people , i'll be under it the weekend, weather permitting
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

It is also worth checking that the handbrake cables are free and not seized. Check the outer casing for any splits or breaks around the steering as this is where they are prone to fail. If you see any damage to the outer casing, but the cables are not seized, get some self-amalgamating tape and make an effective repair. It is also worth lubricating the exposed end with some light oil, but not WD40!

Although the cables are cheap enough, it is a pig of a job changing them, so anything that delays the replacement has to be good.

Handyman