Keypad immobiliser Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

windysurferuk

Keypad immobiliser Problems

Post by windysurferuk »

Yesterday I got in to my Xantia (1998 2.1td) typed in the immobiliser number, the light when green but the car would not start. Well it did start but cut out straight away as though the immobiliser number had been types in wrong.
So I tried the number again and got two beeps saying the number was wrong. I have had the same number for the last 5 years so I’m pretty sure I know what it is by now.

I then tried to reset the keypad buy opening the door for 30 seconds but the light stayed green. I then tried locking the door with the remote and then setting the alarm, opening the doors again and trying the ignition.
When I turned the key the light was still green and when I typed in the number it beeped twice to say it was wrong.

I then disconnected the battery and tried again, and again the light came on green not red.

My last gasp before ringing the RAC was to try the factory default code 1111. This worked and the car started.

When I arrived home it locked to car open the doors again entered my original number and the car started fine!!.

The same thing has happened again this morning, will not start on my original pin but started on 1111 then reverted back to my original number.

I’m really worried that this is going to leave me stranded somewhere not knowing which code to type in.

HELP

cheers
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

I'm of absolutely no help on this problem whatsoever, but I clearly remember thinking of possible future problems like yours when I had this keypad on my new (then) 1997 Berlingo.
Fantastic idea deeming even the keys useless to a thief, but oh dear oh dear, age seems to be catching up on this feature.
Don't know if it's possible to completely eradicate and by pass the keypad p'raps, and install an after market one in its place? :?
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The easy way out of this is to get the car started then unplug the keypad which disables it allowing the car to be started without the pad forever.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

DickieG wrote:The easy way out of this is to get the car started then unplug the keypad which disables it allowing the car to be started without the pad forever.
Is it really that simple? Staggering! :shock:
Presumably all the potential car thieves found this one out?
I thought it was somehow linked to the ecu, and virtually untamperable without diagnostics.
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

C.J. wrote:Is it really that simple? Staggering! :shock:
Well it is but then that's only AFTER you've got the car started :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I think that only works on 1.9 diesels. it's not a weakness as such because it only works if you have already entered the correct code.

It is a marginally less stupid idea than an alarm but I doubt if it's inconvenienced many scrotes.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

reblack68 wrote:I think that only works on 1.9 diesels. it's not a weakness as such because it only works if you have already entered the correct code.
It also works on Activa's as I've done it on three of those as well :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

It works on all Citroens/Peugeots with keypads. If the keypad cant communicate with the ECU/ pump module then it cant lock it so it stays in the unlocked state forever.
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

how or what do I need to unplug then?

cheers
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The plug on the back of the keypad.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
alans anitas
My Cars:

Post by alans anitas »

If you remove the immobiliser, you must inform your insurance company as it may invalidate your policy.
I have not had a Xantia, but my ZX had a simular problem,with an identical looking keyboard.
If you can dismantle the dash so the immobiliser can be unplugged, start the car, then , when it's running, disconnect the immobiliser.
Then dismantle the immobiliser. Has one, or more of the rubber keys perished.? Does it feel floppy ? If it has, this is the cause of your problem. plug the unit back in , having disconnected the battery, left it off for half an hour then reconnect the battery. The code then can be entered using a screwdriver to bridge the black contacts on the printed circuit. Follow the instructions to change the code, using different numbers. The faulty key contacts, the little black rubber pads on the faulty key stems must be removed to prevent vibration entering a false code. Reassemble the unit, plug the immobiliser back in, check the new code works OK , Reassemble the dash, and off you go.

Regards

ALAN
ALAN
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi windysurferuk
if you still want to use a keypad and yours is a bit unpredictable then i have a known working one in my box of spares yours for cost of postage

the other thing to do is change the code avoiding the numbers that you are currently using so as to eliminate them from the list of causes

colin
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

The keypad system is a real PITA, and in any case if disabled, how will any insurance company know in the case of theft? I got rid of it on one of our Xants by changing the Inj pump for a pre-pad one I bought on eBay for £15... left the keypad in situ which just blinks away as normal.
If you remove the immobiliser, you must inform your insurance company as it may invalidate your policy.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

admiral51 thanks for the offer but if it carrys on plaaying up i think I'll pull the plug!

Seems to behaving itself today

cheers

Gaz
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I think if mine were playing up I would pull the plug. However a working one is quite good I think......much better than aftermarket plug in immobilisers which need constant cleaning with Servisol after a while.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2