Xantia antifreeze help please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Xantia antifreeze help please

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
having checked my coolant for antifreeze im quite confident that there is very little in there :oops: :oops: :oops:

i have had to use barrs stop leak to cure a slightly leaky heater matrix (crossed fingers its still not leaking :) ) but my question is this
what type of antifreeze to put it when i have no clue as to whats been put in before which types are ok to mix as i dont really want to do a complete system flush until i do the matrix(some time in the distant future :lol: :lol: )
the coolant colour is a rusty/toffee brown from use of the barrs so i get no clues from that

Cheers in advance

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd change it ASAP Colin, so you know what is in there. I'm in a similar boat as you with my 2.1 and it's weepy matrix held together with Barrs Leaks :( I'm trying to avert a matrix change as long as I can - not looking forward to it at all :twisted:

When I did my cambelt and waterpump this weeked, I refilled with a 50/50 mix of normal Ethelene Glycol (EG) antifreeze (Comma Coldmaster - I like Comma stuff) and water but I added a bottle of Forte Stop Leak to the mix. Extensive research suggested the Forte brew was about the best stuff.

Forte Stop Leak is a trade-only brew and looks like pale blue milk. It can be obtained from ebay but is quite pricey at getting on for £15 a bottle. Early indications suggest it is working. I heard a rumour somewhere that Valeo recommend adding Forte when a maxtix is replaced as a precaution. I cannot confirm that one though - anyone?

Generally, blue or green antifreeze will mix with no worries as they are both EG based. Pink, red and pale straw coloured OAT antifreeze will not mix with normal EG-based antifreeze.

Antifreeze (or rather its corrosion inhibiting properties) is very important in an XUD engine and helps it, the rad and matrix to live longer. To be on the safe side, I'd drain what you have in there and refill with a dose of Forte added. It is very, very highly probable that what is left in there is EG based anyway.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...