MPG comparisson between Xantias

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

MPG comparisson between Xantias

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
ive now got 2 Xantias and have decided to do a comparrison between the 2 regarding fuel comsumption :) :)

Both are 1.9 diesels 1 a TD (1998 R) the other being a n/a (1996 P) both MK1 manuals with A/C with 15" tyres
i have been driving the 1.9 n/a the wifes driving the Turbo :lol: :lol:

i returned 45.96 mpg over 177miles
she returned 40.98 mpg over 120miles

now i know i have been doing dual carriageway driving at 5-6 am and 5-6pm she has been doing single carriageway roads between 9am and 3 pm but no journey has been longer than 14 miles each way
we are swapping cars this week to give a fair comparrison as give or take 5 miles the journeys dont change week to week and i will update next saturday :) :)

does anyone think the figures are too high/low or are they as expected :lol: :lol:

Colin
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

I reckon your figures are bang on.I've never had a n/a Xantia but a 405 gets about 42-45,given that the xantia is heavier,then that's not a bad result. 45MPG is about average for a 1.9TD Xant in mixed conditions.
I have a 97 TD with all the electronic rubbish attached to it and a 95 TD Est without,both do about the same! 45-ish MPG, I typically do short runs circa 6 miles each way but get closer to 50 on long hauls taken gently in either car.
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Very good. With good steady driving that sounds about right, but a 2.1 would probably do 50+, it does in My XM estate.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The following figures are with everyday running around, no long runs;
HDi estate 50 mpg :D
TD 44 mpg :D
V6 29 mpg :D
Activa 24 mpg :(
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:V6 29 mpg :D
The 3.0 V6 is significantly more economical than the 2.0 CT Activa :o Who would have thought it :lol: :lol: In fact 29mpg is an excellent figure for what fun the V6 gives you :D

I concur with the figures so far..

The 2.1TD returns very similar to the HDi, maybe just a bit less as to be expected given the engine technology is considerably enhanced in the HDi. The most economical cars I have ever had was a 1.9 NA Pug 405 which regularly saw 53mpg on a 30 mile a day commute and a Pug 205D which could easily top 60mpg on a run. Dad has one now which sees a fill-up about every three months :lol:

The 1.9TD will never be so economical as its NA counterpart. I noticed a significant drop as soon as I replaced the old 405 with a 405TD. I also noticed a significant change in performance as well; milk floats were at risk of being overtaken :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

citrojim wrote:

The 1.9TD will never be so economical as its NA counterpart. I noticed a significant drop as soon as I replaced the old 405 with a 405TD. I also noticed a significant change in performance as well; milk floats were at risk of being overtaken :lol:
i was going to time the n/a 0 - 60 but its a bit cloudy today and the sundial works better in sunny conditions :lol: :lol: :lol:

Colin
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Just to throw in my tuppence. I have just refilled my Xantia for the second time since owning her and have returned an average 38mpg over 320 miles. Half was done on very short runs in town and through narrow single track country lanes. The other half was done on a reasonably long run to Cornwall and back on A roads and Dual carriageways. I have to admit that this is slightly disappointing, however I am intending to run on 50/50 diesel/WVO shortly so that will help.

My initial fillup was after one long run to Gloucestershire and back on the M5 at 80-85 mph which returned 40mpg.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
deian

Post by deian »

My old V6 was significantly more economical than the XM 2.0i CT I had, so much so that I only lasted a month or so with the XM, it was shockingly expensive.

The 1998 2.1td Xantia (had 220k miles when sold) I had was cheaper to run than my current 1992 ZX 1.9td (126k). I reckon the 12v in the 2.1td makes for better economy.

So if I would buy a Xantia again, which one... it's a hard choice really, I reckon the V6 again. My god it was a nice car, quick, comfy, not too heavy on the juice. I used to call my 2.1td 'the train' (steady, smooth strong, brisk), it still deserves that name against the V6 which says something. but the V6... why did I sell it, hell why did I sell the 2.1td! Oh how foolish I have been!

Still, the ZX is a good car in many ways, recently went up to newcastle in it, £30 there, £30 back. I was hoping for cheaper. But it still has plenty of oomph left doing 80mph (from a 16yr old engine), but the Xantia 2.1 was the daddy on the motorway, just cannot be beaten!

Sorry, i'm getting nostalgic about my old cars here.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Having driven a F*** 2.0i petrol before buying my first diesel (Xantia) I was a little disappointed with the MPG results as the petrol car would return 40mpg if driven sedately and the diesel did little better.

The major difference I've noticed between diesels and petrol engines is the amount of revs needed to produce adequate power for rapid progress. The diesel can be thrashed (if that's an accurate term) at little additioanl expense compared to the petrol engine! It's all down to torque and by that, diesels win every time.

IMO, petrol engines have had their day and have probably reached their limit in terms of economy vs power whereas diesels are probably some 25 years lagging in development and have more potential.
deian

Post by deian »

I think the reason why petrol engines use more fuel the faster they turn is down to how they are fuelled. I was think about this the other day...

my diesel is pumped and injected mechanically through the one diesel pump, the faster the engine turns, the more fuel you get and the more often it injects, in simple term, it's that simple theoretically, the turbo does have some other tricks to control fuelling on boost etc.

But with these modern petrol engines, the fuelling is calculated on all sorts of things... engine speed, load, gear (with auto boxes), throttle position, temprature, air pressure etc etc... all these affect what can be changed to make fuel consumption higher... when the injectors open, and more so how long for!

As much as i can appreciate the marvels of the modern diesel engine, with it's efficiency and power. With diesel prices as they are (10p per litre more than petrol), I would rather have a petrol engine for the time being.

It seems the government know that diesels are fast becoming a favourite and are like everything else not making it easy to own what we would like.
I bet you, if petrol cars became more popular than diesels, they would lower the price of diesels then.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It really peed me off that as soon as I bought my first diesel (BX 1.9 RD), the government suddenly did an about-turn and declared that diesels were not as environmentally benificial as they had been saying for the past god knows how many years and upped the tax to almost the same level as petrol.

No doubt they would do the same if we converted to LPG.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

DickieG wrote:The following figures are with everyday running around, no long runs;
HDi estate 50 mpg :D
TD 44 mpg :D
V6 29 mpg :D
29 MPG in a Xantia V6!
I know two people with 1.8 Mark 2 Focus, they get 27 mpg. I know which I'd rather have!
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

bencowell wrote:29 MPG in a Xantia V6!
I know two people with 1.8 Mark 2 Focus, they get 27 mpg. I know which I'd rather have!
The V6 is by far the most enjoyable Xantia, Activa's are interesting but the V6 is better, very relaxing when you want it to be or woooosssshhh :twisted:

What I'd really like to complete my collection is a mint low mileage V6.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

deian wrote:I think the reason why petrol engines use more fuel the faster they turn is down to how they are fuelled. I was think about this the other day...
Dei, absolutely :lol: With an old-school mechanical diesel pump, you and the governor had complete control of the fuelling. The harder you pressed the throttle, the more diesel was injected. Only an increase in boost would override this to a small extent and if you went too far the governor would rein you in. Result: great economy if you featherd back the throttle and drove carefully.

This held true with the later semi-electronic Bosch VP20. All the electronics did was alter the timing to optimise it under various conditions. You still had full control but with better economy as the timing was more optimised than ever it could be with a mechanical pump.

This all started to change a bit with the 2.1 Lucas EPIC where the electronics controlled fuelling as well as timing All you did was give it a guide as to how much you wanted and it computed what to give the engine to meet your desire. This was taken a stage further in the HDi and it shows. Electronics offer far finer control of injection than a mechanical system and economy goes up. You can see a clear trend here. In economy terms it goes 1.9TD - 2.1TD - HDi and the key is increasingly sophisticated injection systems with ever tighter controls on the injection.

Present day diesel economy has fallen again due to the way manufactures seem to want to make a diesel feel like a petrol engine and do away with the very essence of what makes a diesel a great engine; loads of low-down thumping torque. High torque low in the rev range makes for economy. What is does not make for is a sporty car with a feeling of lots of go. These days it is what people seem to want and the manufacturers give them that, at the expense of fuel economy.

With petrol engines, the electronic injection has increased base economy and power output enormously due to the fine control it exercises over the fuel injected. Quite ordinary modern petrol engines give power outputs nowadays that could only be drempt of years ago and although they are efficient, the power they generate is used badly. Comparatively small engines with high specific outputs haul heavy cars (due to the need of very weighty safety gear) along at high speed. This consumes fuel as a lot of power is needed to give a modern lardy car any performance to speak of. Finally, petrol engines today do not run at their most efficient due to the need to keep the engine fed with a precise 14.7:1 (stochiometric) ratio of air and petrol at all times to keep the catalytic convertor happy. This wastes so much fuel as hardly anywhere is 14.7:1 and ideal ratio. Under light crusie for instance, the ratio could be taken out to beyond 20:1 these days but at the expense of NOx emissions and a cat that no longer works.

Petrol cars could be incredibly frugal and develop high powers with good torque if the full benefits of lean-burn and the Atkinson cycle could be realised but, due to the incredibly foolish and short-sighted requirement to have a cat and the crazy obsession with CO2, development is skewed and hindered by the need to meet low CO2 and other emissions by actually consuming far more petrol than is necessary. It is a scandal.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

ON a recent run from Warrington to Great Yarmouth I got 300 miles from half a tank of diesel. In fairness the car never travelled over 70 mph, and had two passengers and the boot was full of luggage. Around town I don't think I manage 40MPG, and I have never reached the magic 50. Wether or not this is because the estate is heavier I am not sure, but it is annoying when my brother can thrash his 03 Passat TDi and still acheive 50 MPG.

Something I did notice on the way back from Norfolk, I was overtaking Chelsea Tractors on the motorway, not the other way round. The cost of a gallon must really be biting.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)