Is this a revised steering component?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Is this a revised steering component?

Post by MikeT »

I noticed, what I first thougt was, a plastic bag caught between the n/s driveshaft and whatever the component is behind it. There was a small bolt lodged in there but that went back into the intercooler pipe stay where it belonged :roll:

Picture was taken from under the n/s wheel arch - what do you make of that bag, it looks like the bag components are wrapped in when new as it covers the entire length of it (whatever it is), only having a hole poked through this end where the nut is? :shock:

I guess that's not liable to suffer much dirt ingress but is it ok to leave it there?
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I know my ZX had a plastic type bag over the power steering ram....don't know if it will be the same on your car.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's exactly how it should be Mike. The "bag" is there to protect the PAS ram against dirt. It acts as a gaiter. All PAS rams should have one!

It is a good sign it's still there :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Well I never! Is this a french thing? Would it be an orderable item if it got damaged? :lol: I did try tugging it off first :oops: but decided against stretching and tearing it, just in case....

We live and learn.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

That'l be the ram gaiter, wot a laff!!

You would have thought that Citroen, with all of their knowledge could have come up with a decent rubber gaiter.

Regards
Slim.
N_CURTIS
My Cars:

Post by N_CURTIS »

My ZX is missing it's one of these.

It was hanging down and I thought it was just a plastic bag that had got caught up, so yanked it. Doh!

I was wondering how feasible it would be to fit a rubber gaitor even if I had to split it (a bit like those split CV boot kits you can get) then cable tie it on.

Figured it would be better than leaving the shiny bit to the elements.......
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you'll find that the ram is perfectly OK with the piston shaft exposed to the elements - My BX hasn't any protection - and maybe its shortened the ram life but its not leaking at 207,000 miles.

My guess is that its to protect the ram from rust before the car is driven - and if it functions for a bit afterwards (12 years or more in the case of our ZX) then that's a bonus. I expect the things are most vulnerable when new before the thing becomes well soaked in oil and polished by the seals.
jeremy