Xantia 2.1 TD Power Loss?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

a bit of smoke when you start the car is no problem, mine will smoke if i've been stuck in traffic for a while and then i boot it but it quickly clears as for economy mine pretty much gets around 47mpg and my normal drive to work is about 10miles of motorway and 10miles stuck in traffic.
i don't hang around on the motorway either :lol: i've tried taking it a bit slower but doesn't make much of a difference , like citrojim said they is no real reason to rev these engines much past 3000rpm and i can just about drive in a 30 limit in mine in 5th gear as long as it's a flat road.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

In reality Tim, the mileage that you will do towing pales into insignificance over the whole year surely?
I average 30 miles every day of town driving so I suppose it is going to be a little thirsty. All I worry about is how much its going to cost me in fuel when I tow the caravan which is one of the main reasons I bought it as the 405 struggeled on hills with the caravan and was told the 2.1 xantia was a great tow car and seeing as everyone says it isnt that quick but has tons of torque should be perfect.
Thats it for now but please keep adding the comments as it really help.
Thanks guys...Tim
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with Citrojim and PeterN regarding the 2.1TD, there ARE 2 caveats with this engine in comparison with the good old XUD TD.

1) The hydraulic auto tappet adjusters can get noisy at higher mileages - especially if oil changes have been sparse - and the complete set need to be changed for new to guaranty a permanent cure - expensive at around £30 a piece - 12 needed.

2) The Lucas injection pump is frankly a POS compared with the Bosch. I have had 2 of these go AWOL, resulting in the decision to scrap 2 much loved XMs.

The XUD will go on for over 500k given good servicing and the ubiquitous head joint change.
I reckon that the 2.1 is the best idi engine everproduced, its huge low down torque means that you rarely have to venture above 2000rpm giving superb fuel economy - better than the 1.9. In fact my XM estate will quite easily exceed 50 mpg whereas my wifes 1.9 ZX can only manage about 45.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I reckon the 2.1 will be a stonker of a towcar Tim :D I've not towed with mine yet (got a towbar but not fitted it) as we have a 1.9TD for caravan towing duties.

A pal who used to own a Pug 406 with the 2.1 engine rates them highly and he towed a biggish Bailey Ranger with no problems. We only tow a little Ace Marauder so the 1.9TD is more than adequate.
lolingram wrote:2) The Lucas injection pump is frankly a POS compared with the Bosch. I have had 2 of these go AWOL, resulting in the decision to scrap 2 much loved XMs.
That's a shame Lol :cry:

Fundamentally, the Lucas EPIC is OK and does a really good metering job but as you know, if they go wrong, it's curtains. If mine ever gives up I will be looking to do a mechanical pump conversion. As far as I can determine, no one has yet done it although there is no reason why not, especially as some early XM 2.1s and PSA White Vans with the 2.1 were fitted with a mechanical Bosch pump. I have a pump in my stash, just in case :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

My son has had several company Pug 406 estates - one with the 2.1TD and another with the HDi 110 - both autos, and both superb in their own way... a difficult choice, but the HDi had it on economy by a long mile...
CJim wrote:
A pal who used to own a Pug 406 with the 2.1 engine rates them highly and he towed a biggish Bailey Ranger with no problems. We only tow a little Ace Marauder so the 1.9TD is more than adequate.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...