Xantia TD 99 Automatic, lacks power after changing radiator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

Xantia TD 99 Automatic, lacks power after changing radiator

Post by wonderd »

Hey there,
Yesterday i installed a new radiator, during the process, i disconnected the two turbo hoses, battery (incl. battery base) and air filter housing.

When the job was done i took the car for a test drive and right away i felt like there is no power to the engine. Going uphill the car wouldn't pass 50 km/h.

Checked the turbo hoses again, all connected, took another drive without air filter, no change.

Would appriciate any help or advice.
Thanks,
Elad.
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

By the symptoms alone I would suspect the turbo to fuel pump feed. It's a small pipe between and above the engine and the fuel pump. It branches off the diagonal intercooler pipe and feeds into the fuel pump. Check that isn't split, cracked or been dislodged.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Also Elad, carefully recheck the intercooler hoses where they attach to the intercooler. The turn through a very tight angle and it is easy to kink and squash them at this point and cause an obstruction.

Check also that you did not crack the spigots on the intercooler as the hoses can be hard to remove and the intercooler end tanks are not the most robust of items.

There is a very easy way to check the integrity of the intercooler and the associated hoses. Remove the air filter box and the hose that runs up to the hard plastic pipe that runs across the top of the engine bay. get a piece of flat wood, start the engine and let it idle. Now gradually cover the exposed end of the pipe with the wood. The obstruction you cause and the massive suck of the engine will cause the intercooler hoses to collapse and squash flat if everything is in good condition. Do not completely cover the end of the pipe with the wood or you risk damaging the intercooler by sucking it flat and only allow the hoses to very briefly squash. If there is a leak, this test will reveal it. Also, NEVER use the palm of your hand for this test. The engine can suck so hard you risk an injury to your hand. How do I know? :oops: I've done it :lol: It hurt.

You can also do another test. Dusconnet the intercooler hose where it enters the inlet manifold, start the engine and rev it. You should be able to feel a good strong wind coming out of the turbo.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Mike:
I looked at that pipe, it's intact.
BTW, i have a sensor there which that feed hose you are talking about was connected to. In the garage, a few months ago, i complained that the angine doesn't feel so strong and among other things they disconnected that hose from the sensor and connected it streight from the pump into the intercooler pipe. It was fine since.
citrojim:
I checked the right side today, everything looks ok, tomorrow i will check the left side connection to the intercooler.
I did that check you are talking about earlier today, there is good suction from the hard pipe and wind coming from the intercooler side.
(I tried it with someone else's hand, almost got him..)
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Automatics are alien to me and I notice you've been having all sorts of problems not just related to this radiator change so I'm hopelessly out of relevant ideas but sticking with the turbo theory - and I'm intrigued about what that sensor is - you've all but eliminated that as the culprit. Can you hear the turbo spooling up?
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Good morning,
I checked all the pipes and hoses today, nothing special.
What am i suppose to feel when i open that little pipe from the pump to the air pipe, just air coming out towards the pump?

Don't know what that sensor is, i will try to look into it today.
No, i don't hear the turbo spining, just feel the air flow getting stronger with reving up the engine.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99