DS fuel problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

504GLD

DS fuel problem

Post by 504GLD »

Hi, I'm heading to a friends on Friday. He reports his DS23 EFi is stuck in the garage and wont start. He has found there is no fuel coming up to the injection system. Appartently the fuel pump under the seal, is heard running.

OK hows yours classic Citroen knowledge? I need to go armed to hopefully start this beast!

Thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: DS fuel problem

Post by CitroJim »

504GLD wrote: OK hows yours classic Citroen knowledge?
Not that good but generally...

What injection system has the DS23? I'm guessing it's an early Bosch L-Jetronic :?

Can he hear the pump running continuously or just a brief run at ignition on? A lot of electric fuel pumps are powered via a protective mechanism to stop the pump when the engine is not running. Often in the form of a tachymetric relay. The relay will give a burst to prime the system and then will not allow the pump to run until it sees a regular ignition signal above a certain RPM to confirm the engine is running.

It's worth checking the fuel filter is not totally choked.

If the car has not run for some time, the initial burst may not be sufficient to prime so try hot-wiring the pump direct to the battery (via a fuse) and see if fuel then flows and then try a start.

The tachymetric relay also controls the power to the injectors. There should be 12V on the injectors when the ignition is on and the engine is cranking/running. The ECU earths one side of the injectors to operatie (open) them. You may be able to hear them clicking as they operate.

I have a pile of information on early Bosch EFI at home so if you can let me have a few more details, I should be able to be a little more specific.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Now if it had a carburetter I could probably help :)
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Hi.

The early injection systems sometimes relyed on the air flow meter being open to let the pump run, this meter is a flap in the air intake, as the air goes past the flap it swings open to let air in and the electric is sent to the fuel pump enabling it to pump petrol to the injectors. After a long time idle the flaps will stick, if this DS has the flap system try starting it whilst jamming the flap open with a screwdiver.

Apart from that, sorry but I am not to clever on electric thingys I have allways thought of electric as some kind of witchcraft.

Cheers
Martin
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

thanks, i'll take this info with me and see what happens. Hopefully it will run, were driving it to Amsterdam in a couple of months!
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

The DS is now running, nothing to major. The fuel lines from the tank are plastic which uses small rubber sections to connect to the fuel pump and fuel filter. These had perished with age, so renewed and she started no bother. The only problem was access to the fuel pump, under the (LHD) passenger side seal, and with her sunk right down........ :-)