Xantia autobox problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shaker

Xantia autobox problem

Post by shaker »

Hi Chaps

Had the car laid up for a week with the battery disconnected whilst I did various jobs on it. It's a 1999 Xantia 2.0i Exclusive Auto and when I came to power it up again it started first time but the gearlever was stuck in Park.

I can get it out of Park via the screwdriver trick of easing out the detent and moving the gearlever back, after which it will select drive OK. Trouble is, if I stop and put the gearlever back to Park I can't move it again without resorting to the screwdriver.

Question: Is this likely to be purely the result of disconnecting the battery for a length of time? Does something need resetting?

The passenger footwell is also wet as one of the jobs I was tackling was a poorly sealed windscreen bottom strip. Knowing that there are various electrical connections under the passenger carpet, is it likely that the cause lies there?

Another thing, the car will now start in neutral, it doesn't have to be in Park to fire it up.

Any suggestions as to the cause / remedy gratefully received.
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Shaker
If it's of any help .I've driven quite a few, automatics and every one I've ever used will start in park and neutral.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The brake switch is what tells the solenoid on the gear lever to release, are your brake lights working? It might be worth checking the wiring and cleaning the contacts on the pedal switch.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
shaker

Post by shaker »

Stempy, thanks for the suggestion, I've just been out to check the brakelights and they are working ok but the lever is still stuck in Park. I'll check the switch anyway tomorrow and try cleaning up the contacts.