very heavy xantia clutch 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Mine have always lasted a fair bit longer than that.

Change the cable and clip. Adjust the cable til the biting point is at the right height.

This is far cheaper and easier than doing the clutch.

If the clutch is still stiff and horrible then consider changing it.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Cheers Elma. I know this is a bit of a 'How long's a piece of string' question but if I replace the clip and cable and the clutch is still heavy, how long do you reckon it would take to break the clip again? Is it likely to go next day, next week, next month? I don't want to get the clip and cable changed, drive the car away and have it go again next day and have to pay to get it replaced again (I am not mechanically adept!)

Cheers
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

My clutch clip went on Saturday night, I'd no warning at all as compared to both the other 1.9TD Xantia's I've owned the clutch on this one was as light as a feather...

I got it towed to my local garage and left it there to this morning but when I went down they wouldn't touch it as it's a bugger of a job so I had to arrange another garage to collect it... god only knows what the bill will be.....
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

FYI. The 1.9TD I bought last year suffered from a heavy clutch but 8K and a year later it hadn't got any worse. The tyres would easily spin but the clutch never slipped, not even with the handbrake on.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Although my clutch is heavy-ish, it doesn't slip and it doesn't judder when I pull away from a standing start. I have missed a couple of gears though, probably through me being a bit lazy. Having given it a lot of thought today I think I am going to get a new clip, cable and clutch and hopefully then the job will last and I won't have to worry about it anymore. If it wasn't such a crap design I'd just change the clip and get on wit hit but as I've been quoted £85 to change it, it's not a fee I relish paying again anytime soon. It seems sensible to get the cable done at the same time as they only cost £20 and both ends will be disconnected to do the clutch and clip.