Grinding brakes?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Barbarian

Grinding brakes?

Post by Barbarian »

I just noticed this morning that my brakes grinding once or twice at low speeds when i braked. The disks were changed last year when the brake pads were changed for the same reason.

Is it ok to just stick new pads on and leave the disks. They have not be grinding for days may be two or three grinds in total so they surly will be ok?

I know if i walk into a fast fit center they will try and con me into new disks as well and I really don't have enough money for that just now. And im only going to keep the car until that mot runs out too many things keep going wrong with it and im sick of it. Its a Xantia 1.9td.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You should be fine just replacing the pads unless the discs are badly scored or cracked. That is how they are intended to work.

It may even be a bit of grit caught in the pads, I have had that a few times. Check on the pad wear before you buy new ones.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

It is ok to do that, but considering how cheap the brake sets on ebay are (mintex are the best in my opinion) it's worth doing the lot.

If the discs are a bit warped, as they nearly always are on xantias, then you'll just be wasting the new pads.