1996 P Reg Xantia 1.9TD - Engine won't stop!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

coopertron

1996 P Reg Xantia 1.9TD - Engine won't stop!

Post by coopertron »

Hello again guys,

Another crazy Xantia problem following on from my last adventures:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

In relation to the previous post, I replaced the glow plugs, the primer bulb and I managed to finally get hold of some clear hose to go between the filter housing and pump (nowhere seems to sell the clear hose!).

At first after I replaced the bulb and plugs, I thought it had made no difference - engine turned over, but still would not start, however the many repeated crankings seemed to have drained the battery.

I had the battery off the car for four days while I recharged it. Put it back in, and lo and behold, the car fired up, but nowhere near as on the button as it used to be (the fun and games seem to have upset the alarm as well, but thats another story).

I have not been anywhere in the car as yet other than local runs, went to start the car this morning and then later on today, and each time intermittantly, when i stopped the engine the engine carried on for a few more seconds.

The first time this happened I thought I had imagined it, but the second time I definitely didn't - as I had turned the key and taken it out of the ignition - the engine carried on. I put the key back in, ignition back on, and then turned it off again and that time it stopped.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?. I am aware that there is a manual stop in the engine bay somewhere, but I would like to know what might be causing this (new) problem.

First it wont start, now it wont stop :shock:
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Your stop solenoid is sticking.

Mines done it before after sitting for a few days.

Give it a few days and if it doesn't heal then replace the stop solenoid.

The manual stop lever is the one on the diesel pump, theres no other lever.
coopertron

Post by coopertron »

Thanks for that Elma.

Wherabouts is the stop solenoid, and are they expensive or difficult to replace?.

I do remember reading in the manual or the haynes that there is a manual stop lever, but never had cause to use it until now perhaps.

To be honest this is preferable to the thing not going at all!.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Perhaps some percussive maintenance is called for.

My former next door neighgour has a snazzy Mondeo 22 ST ore somesuch. It conked out on a caravan site last week and he had to call the AA to get him going.

After poking around for a while the AA man went to his van abd brought a hammer back, told martin to crank the engine and he hit something under the bonnet with the hammer.
Engine burst into life.

AA man told him to take it to the dealers and get a new EGR valve. (car is still under warranty)

Same might work for you :D
coopertron

Post by coopertron »

With the recent shenanigans with it, I have been thinking about buying a large hammer to set about the thing :P
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Seriously though, it may just be sticking a bit and a tap with a small mallet might free it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The stop solenoid is on top of the pump. You can see it as a round lump with an electrical terminal on top of it here in the botton right-hand picture.

When removing it, be prepared for a diesel spillage and ensure no dirt can get in.

Note that if your pump has the armouring (look at the same link as above for pictures of it) the stop solenoid is for all intents and purposes, inaccessible. The armour is VERY difficult to remove. An exposed stop solenoid represents a very easy way of hot-wiring a diesel, hence the armour.

Make sure you know where the emergency stop lever is and test that it works. You can see it in the picture at the bottom of this page.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Don't hit or replace it yet.

When the cars sit unused this happens sometimes, especially if the front end is jacked up and only really on cars after m reg ( in my experience)

It has a good chance of working free by itself if left alone. Just use the stop lever for a day or 2 and then if no improvement hit it all you like.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you go hitting the stop solenoid mind you dont hit the top of it as you will break it, as for price they are atound the £20 quide mark if i remeber corectly
regards malcolm
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'm sure I read they can, and should be cleaned if removed? Might just be a spec of dirt but worth a try?
coopertron

Post by coopertron »

Hello again,

I had the car into my local garage to look at the not starting issue. The stop solenoid issue appears to have resolved itself as some of the posters suggested (didn't really have the car long enough to say for certain)

They replaced the clear pipe I put in with a proper fuel pipe (mine was letting air in apparently. They also said there was an air leak elsewhere and they replaced the pipe to cure that.

However the car would still not start on one cycle of the glow plugs. It required at least two, and over the course of the three days I had it back, got worse, to three times, then on the fourth day, back to square one - cranking over, but not firing.

Eventually got it running after cranking it over for ages.

I've since taken it back to the garage, and its in there now, but just wondering what else could be causing this?.

Once the car is running now, there doesnt seem to be any trace of hunting at all like there used to be.

Garage says it could still be duff glow plugs or the glow plug relay.....
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Your poor starting does have all the characteristics of a glow plug problem.
I have skimmed through your previous posts on the problem but can't see any mention of the glow plugs being replaced (unless I missed it)...have they been replaced?

The glow plug relay...these are normally very reliable but shouldn't be overlooked when trying to get to the bottom of a problem like you are suffering.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

After the glow plug pre-heat warning light has gone out,don't attempt to start the car but instead wait for a few more seconds.You should hear a "click" from the engine bay,that shows the relay has switched off.
The glow plugs remain on longer than the light.This is to aid smooth running in the first few seconds after a cold start.
Starting the car then should be easier.

Does it ever stall at junction? I had a 305 with a Bosch pump which had a leak and was therefore drawing air. It was difficult to start 1st time,too. Replacing the pump cured the problem. The previous owner had fitted new glow plugs,a new fuel filter head and a new cold start temperature senor,all to no avail.
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

jonnydrumm1967 wrote:The glow plugs remain on longer than the light.This is to aid smooth running in the first few seconds after a cold start.
Whilst that is true in some cases, not all work that way so please bear it in mind.

For some cars that have post heating applying maximum drive within the set period (which can be a few minutes) also turns it off.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I seem to remember reading that on my 1.9TD the glow plugs carried on heating for a timed period after ignition OR until the throttle pedal was pressed, that caused them to extinguish.

As I never had any problems with that car I never had cause to investigate.