Fuel shortages

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Fuel shortages

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

Due to the much hyped fuel shortages proposed by the media and the resulting panic buying,it does make me feel good to waft past the queues of HDIs and TDCIs at the local filling station to go straight to Lidls and chuck in 30 ltrs or so of veg,knowing that I'll be safe come what may.

Good old Xantia! Not used Veg oil for a few months now but it took to it like a duck to water. At the moment it 's running about 70/30 mix but that might increase if the situation escalates. :D
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
juraj

Post by juraj »

hi john

which oil are you getting from lidl? what volume is it packaged in and how much is it per litre?

bye

sainsburys rapeseed vegetable oil has gone up to £1/L was around 75p not long ago

bye
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

I buy it by the boxfull,15x1 ltr bottles at currently 95p per litre :shock: Labelled "Vita d'or" its been the xantias diet now and again.
When I bought the car it was running on corn oil at 50p per litre then that was only back in Sep.
Probably get it cheaper than 95 ppl if I shop around, I stay near Cupar in Fife up here in Scotland so locally there aren't too many outlets,Cupar's the closest by far.

Cheers, Jon.
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

jonnydrumm1967 wrote: I stay near Cupar in Fife up here in Scotland so locally there aren't too many outlets,Cupar's the closest by far.

Cheers, Jon.
Completely off topic, but I did my bike test there, really nice place.
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

I buy it by the boxfull,15x1 ltr bottles at currently 95p per litre Shocked Labelled "Vita d'or"
-that's the exact same stuff I get now - is there still a cheaper retail oil available?

trouble is that if fuel ran out, the supplies to the shop cold be limited too.

I just converted the CX to run on LPG, and even that will be affeced if there's a long term problem :cry:
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
juraj

Post by juraj »

john

corn oil? how did it perform/behave on that, so far of all the reading i have done rapeseed oil is supposedly the safest or most tested,

i have a friend in Australia who gets any waste oil form chip shops, so he has no idea what it is, he simply strains it through muslin to take out the large bits of food and then pours it straight it, no diesel/veg ratio, but he has an old ex army toyota - '82 model,

actually this must be a very tough car as he told me that one night when he was down at the local tip scavenging for reusable building wood he saw some 20L drums of veg oil and he thought, beaut, more fuel for the car, so he starts pouring it straight in then and there at night but he notices it looks really weird and smelled funny, after pouring in about 10L odd he realized it was used sump oil!!! considering he already had some veg in there he thought at least it wont run on straight sump oil and the thing just burnt it all up without any problems!!

bye all
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Corn oil performs no different to rapeseed, its a little thicker but not that noticable, and the smell was much better. Just a shame you cant get it cheap now as i prefer it to rapeseed.

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

It's funny you should mention sump oil, Jurag. Jon's (the OP's) cousin used to have a Chavalier diesel that he used to run exclusively on four parts used engine oil to one part petrol. It had the most evil smelling exhaust fumes I've ever smelt. It was literally painful to follow it too closely.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

I know a local retailer who's going to price 20l drums from the cash and carry,hopefully that'll will be a cheaper option again. Up here at the moment diesel is about 116ppl.
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
juraj

Post by juraj »

reblack,

wow! sump oil i can kinda understand but 20% petrol?? surely the pre detonation must have been horrible, although i knew a guy who after filling up with petrol would pour in a litre or cant remember 500ml bottle of something like power steering fluid or ATF, apparently raise dthe octane rating of the petrol significantly and he had no pinking problems with his high compression car,

:::

jonny theres a place in peckham that selle 20L drums of some veg oil - not rapeseed - for £14-16, i was under the impression it ought to be or had to be rapeseed - in order for the xantia fuel injection pumps to go the distance

bye all
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

juraj wrote:.... rapeseed - in order for the xantia fuel injection pumps to go the distance ....l
No - not : "Xantia fuel injection pumps ..."
Should definately read : "Bosch fuel injection pumps ..."
- in this context, to stay clear of any mis-assumptions.
Thats very important to keep in mind ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

AndersDK wrote:[Should definately read : "Bosch fuel injection pumps ..."
- in this context, to stay clear of any mis-assumptions.
Thats very important to keep in mind ...
Absolutely Anders. Only the Bosch will go any sort of distance on Veg. Any Lucas (Delphi, RotoDiesel) pump will complain bitterly if run on veg and blow itself to bits quite quickly and in a irrepairable fashion. This limits veg use effectively to the Xantia 1.9TD fitted with a Bosch pump (most were) only.

Don't EVER try to run a 2.1TD EPIC or any HDi on veg.

I'm not really happy running a Bosch on veg either in large ratios, it does seem to make them spring leaks after a while. I have a suspicion the veg attacks the O ring seals in them. The rest of the Bosch pump and the 1.9TD engine itself seems to thrive on veg. Even if your seals do leak after a while, they can be replaced with a bit of work.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Can Viton seals not be found as replacements. Pretty neat impervious that stuff to Bio or Veg
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:Can Viton seals not be found as replacements. Pretty neat impervious that stuff to Bio or Veg
For the normal O rings, no problem I would have thought Alex.

The problem is the head seal shown here in the first picture. The one I'm holding!

Mind you, I'd not be surprised if new replacements were now made of Viton.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...