Crazy ZX Fuel Gauge

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

Crazy ZX Fuel Gauge

Post by oscarloco »

Hi guys

Yesterday the fuel gauge in my ZX suddenly went to the off position. I tried banging the dashboard (in case there was a faulty contact) but it didn't work.

So, as the speedo drive is also broken, I was blind and without any idea of fuel remaining. I filled up and started thinking. Faulty wiring was my first guess.

Today, started it and the fuel gauge was working again, so the theory of the wiring starts making more sense.

Where should I check first, in the tank or in the dashboard?
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

I know the ZX for having an adventurous fuel gauge going up and down as it feels, heck mine reads 3/4 full when its full and minus 1/4 when empty!

For me, easiest place to start would be the tank, as that is just lifting the "man hole" under the rear seats which leaves you presented with the pump and gauge sender.

I only point there as its the easiest to get to, the dash (although not said in the BOL) isn't a steering wheel off job, but does need hands the size of a toddler to fit through gaps and disconnect the speedo cable, if you do it yourself and not delegate to a small child be prepared to have marks on the back of your hand and thumb i seem to remember.

Might as well do some bulbs whilst your there, you know they'll pop 30 miles after you put the dash back in place!

Edd
ZX 1.4I 1993 Reflex KDX
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Thanks Edd!
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)