Xantia rad replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Xantia rad replacement

Post by lexi »

Ok guys. Main cooling rad on xantia td with aircon. Have stripped bumper headlight bonnet latch panel etc. From outside in we have Aircon condenser /fan assembly......then Intercooler ......then radiator..right?

Does condenser fan assembly need to come out?

Can intercooler and rad be separated as they seem stuck together?

I will disconnect hoses next. I take it the main rad hose assembly on bottom O/S is only available from stealer? Ihave a new Valeo rad to go in when this Mistral like wind stops blowin here.

Alex
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Alex,

You've got the cart before the horse a bit there :wink:

The rad comes out from the rear without needing to touch the aircon condenser nor have bumper and grille off etc. In fact, not a difficult job bar the hoses and being a bit fiddly :twisted:

If you look at the top of the rad, you'll see two hoops at either end that clip the top of the rad to the slam panel. Lift these up and the rad will tilt forward.

So, to get it out, along with the intercooler, disconnect all hoses to the rad and disconnect the big rubber hoses to the intercooler at the intercooler.

Depending on year, the coolant hoses may be those nasty bayonet ones. They can be a pain :twisted: Pull the retaining clips and with gentle persuasion, the top hose bayonet should come free. Do the same with the bottom one but be warned that one may be rather more difficult due to corrosion and lack of access. You need to be patient and careful with it. In exterme cases, it is best to destroy the bayonet socket on the old rad rather than risk damage to the hose connector. If you have the old type spring hose clips you're laughing.

Given that the hoses are disconnected, lift the hoops together and push the rad toward the engine as far as it will go. The hoops will get in the way and they will need to be lifted and pushed sideways. I find it's often best to completely remove the drivers side hoop. It is only clipped onto the slam panel.

Remove the airbox and inlet air duct from the grille to give you a little more room.

The intercooler will come forward with the rad and you'll see it's held to the coolant rad with prongs in rubber bushes. You can lift the coolant rad clear of the intercooler and lift the rad out after lifting the intercooler free of it, tilting it well over to the drivers side so the bottom hose elbow clears the aircon pipes and wiring in that area. If yours is a VSX with Hydractive suspension, the hydractive centre sphere may get in the way a bit but the rad can be fidled past it with judicious tilting.

Lift out the intercooler and give it a good old clean whilst it's out. Give the condenser a clean as well, now you can get to it.

Reassembly is a reversal etc. etc. Note that if you have bayonets, carefully peel off the special rubber O rings, clean them and the groove they sit in and liberally coat the ring, groove and bayonet in Vaseline. Ensure the bayonet and it's socket in the rad are scroupulously clean.

Install the bayonet retaining clips before fitting the new rad, especially on the bottom elbow. It's a pain to get the clip in afterward.

Phew.

This wind and cold is not good for woring on cars. What's happened to spring :?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Yes Jim .........and the global warmers have went a bit quiet! Excellent info. Never mind I will copper grease all the stuff I took off needlessly...........it may have to come off again in future.

Rad has little single wire spring clips.......never seen them before :lol:

Basic suspension with only aircon sight glass thingy. Have slackened this a bit to give a little movement without disturbing unions.

Alex

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

Lexi, the only fiddly bit is getting the bottom hose back on - especially if the car has air con. Oh, and watch for the spring clips at the top of the rad - these lock onto plastic tabs and they sometimes break.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thanks guys ......it`s all out now and I see what the spring clips are about.
The system is reliant on the male hose sections being good. I`ve done worse but can`t remember where :lol:

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

New bottom hose on order.....£45............£ouch. It is 3 branch with a steel fitting I suppose. Silly question to save me trying to get my big head into small gaps.....where is Engine block drain? 1.9td. Please not in beside that turbo :lol:

Lots of rust on flushing out. Methinks no corrosion inhibitor/ anti-freeze as vehicle used in Pembroke.......not much frost. Split on bottom plastic rad branch maybe result of freezing? Tut Tut what careless previous owners.....and there are THOUSANDS of them...........everywhere!!

Alex

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Any advance on position of Engine coolant drain plug? My eyesight is getting worse.........coarrr look at that woman!! ...well on most things :lol:

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Could there be a connection there :D
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Well I could always sell matches :lol:

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Xantia rad replacement

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Bayonet clips, spring clips----what is wrong with the old jubilee clips, :? :?
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Re: Xantia rad replacement

Post by admiral51 »

Gregg1100 wrote:Hi,
Bayonet clips, spring clips----what is wrong with the old jubilee clips, :? :?
Greg
thats easy greg jubilee clips are cheap and easy to replace wouldnt want our local stealers to lose money now would we :lol: :lol: :lol:

colin
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Rads on these models have female spigots. Hoses go inside the rad spigot. That`s why the hoses give probs as the steel on the ends of hose corrode and you lose the seal.............especially when little or no inhibitor is used or changed.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The only reason I can see for these confounded bayonets is that they were quicker to assemble when the cars were made. One click and they're in.

It's not unknown for them to pop out in service. Their grip on the retaining clip is a bit tenuous.

maybe Citroen designed corrosion in to make sure they held in place :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

You`re right Jim they are crap........or else The Japs would be using them :lol: Still looking for engine coolant drain.

Alex

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:Still looking for engine coolant drain.
Sorry Alex, meant to comment on that a few posts ago :oops:

I believe there is a drain on the back of the block somewhere but in finest French tradition, totally inaccessible to serve any useful purpose..

It's probabaly best to slip the bottom hose off the water distribution block at the rear of the engine to drain the block. Even if you have bayonets, this end is still retained with a more-or-less conventional spring hose clip.

Talking about French logic and inaccessibility, the 2.1TD has its thermostat buried in the water distribution block :twisted:
Jim