Xantia steering slippy sensation.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xantia steering slippy sensation.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, On steering hard right it feels as though the car is starting to slip to the right, I have adjusted the handbrake cable letting the adjusters off a turn each this seemed to improve the steering but the dam adjuster took up the slack and made the problem reacurr can anyone throw some light on how to slacken off the adjusters without the auto adjust simply taking up the slack again please?

Regards Nigel.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

What variety of Xantia is it? The 2.1, HDi110, V6 and Activa versions require a longer cable on the passenger side (assuming RHD) than the other models, due to the shape of the gearbox. The standard cable will fit and work but it pulls the brake on at full lock.

I had a bit of a problem getting the right cable from my motor factor, they had the two versions listed but the models they were listed under were a bit random. I ended up asking specifically for the longer one.

The driver's side ones are all the same.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Richard,

Thanks for your advice the cable hasn't been changed recently and the last one was fitted by a citroen mechanic anyway. my Xany is an SX estate 1989, the problem started when i removed the steering colum and put it back again, I just can't fathom it its occurring on both sides now at half lock it feels so light like its going to get away from you, I was wondering if I have an LHM blockage on my steering rack how would I know? I gather this would cause stiff or harder steering not easier steering or lighter steering.
I 'm wondering if the colum had been out before and they didn't line it up properly making the steering a bit heavy, now that its lined up it makes the steering feel a lot lighter, Several other Xany owners have had a drive and all feel the same sensation but no-one can put there finger on the problem. (Very strange).

Regards. Nigel.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you should set the auto adjust up with the cables disconected, with car jack,both front wheels removed, disconect both cables from the lever arms on calippers, now start engine and then press hard on the brake pedel two to three times, just press it hard not sharp, now reconect the cables and adjust making sure they are only just not holding the levers on at all,

you should adjust the cables unless the self adjusters are allready set
regards malcolm
falling-out-with-my-car

Malcom,

thats got to be it thank You. when we let off the cables the steering improved momentarily and as soon as the adjuster took ove rthe proble reappeared, will try this sound good thank you very much.

Althought i wonder why it has suddenly presented as a problem,must be something to do with brake pad wear???

regards nigel.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i realy dont understand why it has happened, but that is the propper way to set the calippers then cables when new pads have been fitted
regards malcolm
falling-out-with-my-car

Malcom,

thanks very much followed your instructions given relating to proper adjustment of front handbrake, I also replaced the front disks and pads and a leaky hydraulic pipe whilst the car was on the axle stands.

thanks very much for your help the front caliper adjusters have no excessive adjustment in them now and the feeling of the steering getting away from me on corners has completely dissapeared.

the drivers side front disk was quite badly worn and the pads were binding and squeeking all of the time.

Thanks again. best wishes Nigel