Poorer performing windscreen washers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Poorer performing windscreen washers

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi folks,
When I first bought my Xantia the windscreen washers worked very well,but over the last month or two their performance has degraded somewhat.

Whats happening is as you operate the stalk on the steering column to give the screen a quick wash and wipe,the wiper's operate but it takes an age for the water to come through the jets.When it finally comes through its fine and does the job.The thing is it wasn't always like this.
It seems like the washer system needs to bulid up pressure before finally squirting....Its almost as if there is supposed to be a 'non return' valve in the washer line that not working anymore.Does the Xantia have a non return vlave?

I also notice over winter the washer's do not perform at all well mainly down to very cold weather,does anyone else have this problem?

Is there some form of heating kit thats manufactured to wrap around the washer supply hose to generate heat to stop the hoses freezing?

It doesnt help with the washer bottle/storage tank being very low down in front of the drivers side front wheel arch...exposed to the elements.I'm seriously thinking of fitting an aftermarket washer bottle/storage tank elsewhere and higher up,putting less strain on the old washer pump plus keeping the washer bottle a little warmer.does anyone forsee any problems with that idea?

Regards Steve
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had this on my old Xantia.The tubeing had split near the bonnet hinge.The black tubeing was also very brittle in places.I replaced most of it with new see through tubeing.
What made it even better was to replace the washer jets with jets from a late 406 which use the same under slung jets but with a fan spray pattern which covers the whole screen(as fitted to my 406).They only cost about a fiver a pair from Pugeot :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My early Xantia had this problem. I found a duff one-way valve in the washer tubing under the front drivers side wing mudshield. Not sure if later Xantias have this valve but worth a check. The only problem is getting to it as you have to pull back the whole mudshield in the vicinity of the strut top to get at it.

Replace it if in any doubt. Any good factors should have them.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Great ...thanks for the reply's.I'll be looking at removing the mudshield and looking for that non return valve possibly replacing it as well as some new tubing.

Thats an interesting idea np regarding the peugeot jets,I'll keep that in mind.

Regards Steve
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

steviewonder7 wrote:Great ...thanks for the reply's.I'll be looking at removing the mudshield and looking for that non return valve possibly replacing it as well as some new tubing.

Thats an interesting idea np regarding the peugeot jets,I'll keep that in mind.

Regards Steve

My C5 has those fitted, I like them but was a bit alarmed at first as they completely blot out forward vision.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Who needs forward vision when you have a nice spray.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Are the Peugeot jets heated like the Xantia ones?
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

one of mine is completely bocked so i need to buy a new one, the peugeot ones sound just the job, is there any particular age and model of 406 to ask for ? :D
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

ALWAYS use a strong concentration of screenwash as well - I have had weak mixes that block the jets with slime and it smells disgusting.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Bren wrote:I have had weak mixes that block the jets with slime and it smells disgusting.
Does it smell like bad eggs - sulphure is it? I wondered why my other can stank like a bad fart every time I used the washers. I used to think I had ungrateful passengers but they couldn't all be capable of the same wretched stink and although capable, I knew it wasn't me. :oops:

I realised the washer bottle must have had the remnants of previous owners choice as I could smell the aroma of the stuff I topped it up with coming through - fortunately it hasn't blocked anything and it's now been washed through and no longer gives that smell. :idea: I wonder why it failed it's first MOT so abymismally, it probably offended the tester. :idea:
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

davethewheel wrote:one of mine is completely bocked so i need to buy a new one, the peugeot ones sound just the job, is there any particular age and model of 406 to ask for ? :D
When i got mine for the Xantia,Peueot wanted full details of car reg etc,as the jets are not fitted to earlyier(?)cars.
If any one finds Peugeot needs more info or are unhelpfull,give me a PM & you can use my Reg number.This is how i got them for my Xantia,i gave them my Dads company car reg(now my 406)& they gave me the correct jets.
It not rocket science what jets they are,but you know how stealers can be :lol:
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

When I replaced mine the Citroen garage was out of stock and sent me over the road to peugeot.
It was same part number and same price.

Another cause of the washers being pathetic can be the seal around the motor getting dislodged/rotton.
You can diagnose that quite easily. If you fill the screenwash up to the top you will get a puddle of wwater coming out of the wheelarch.

The motors a git to get out, you have to pull that hard your guaranteed to elbow a metal corner in the engine bay when it comes out.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Also if the breather tube gets blocked it will restrict the flow. It comes out of the top of the bottle and can easily be squashed as it it very flimsy.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

np wrote:I had this on my old Xantia.The tubeing had split near the bonnet hinge.The black tubeing was also very brittle in places.I replaced most of it with new see through tubeing.
What made it even better was to replace the washer jets with jets from a late 406 which use the same under slung jets but with a fan spray pattern which covers the whole screen(as fitted to my 406).They only cost about a fiver a pair from Pugeot :)
just picked up a set of the peugeot washer jets and they work a treat \:D/