Why my Air Con doesn't work

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Why my Air Con doesn't work

Post by MikeT »

It was advertised as A/C not working. Indeed, when I pushed the A/C button driving home it illuminated but the air didn't get ice cold. I was going to check the gas pressure but think that can wait now. Looking underneath the car I think I've diagnosed the fault.

Yes, that is the A/C compressor pulley and no, I haven't removed the serpentine belt, it's still on the hp pump, alternator and tensioners. I suspect it's been like that since September 2002 which is when the AA were called out to a noise from the air con clutch. :? Did someone say the A/C compressor pulley can't be bypassed using a shorter belt?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Not a big job doing the from=nt bearing.

Check in common faults or air con forum.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

alan s wrote:Not a big job doing the from=nt bearing.
I was more concerned about the condition of the whole system if it hasn't been used for six years.

While I was at Citroen's yesterday I saw a press releases saying that people don't realise that A/C repairs are the third most expensive after the engine and gearbox. :shock: and that you should run it every week for 10 minutes to keep it in good condition. Given that, I'd assume repairing the bearing won't be the only job needed.