Radio code

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Radio code

Post by MikeT »

I need the code for the radio as the previous owner cannot help. I went to local Citroen dealer and (like Halfords) they could not find my registration on their database. I gave the VIN and still no joy.

I do have a Clarion Radio Decoder program that requires a four-digit number to provide the code but don't know what or where that number is.

Any ideas on what to try next?
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Mike

dont know if this will be of any help to you copied from a different forum

"Blaupunkt radio codes can usually be derived from the serial number by software, but NOT radios made by Grundig, Clarion, or Philips. These have to be looked up by someone that has access to the database. It is better to get your Citroen dealer to look up the code than go to the online decoding sites. Some dealers charge for this service, maybe as much as an online decoding company, but your chance of come-back is better if it doesn't work. Blaupunkt serial numbers begin with BP. Clarions usually begin with CL. Grundigs begin with GR. If you don't have a BP number you cant get a code from the software"

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike,

Take your VIN and radio serial number to the local Stealers and they'll sort you out. It might cost but the saving in hassle is worth it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Someone's in speed-read mode :lol:

I took my VIN number to Citroen and they were unable to locate my vehicle. :?

I need to pull the radio out to read the serial number, is it an easy operation? Citroen implied I wouldn't need to give it - just the VIN/Reg, the logbook and personal ID will do.

It says Clarion on the CD changer but there's no such ID on the radio itself, I'm assuming it's Clarion.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

S2 Xantia radio's are Clarion.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote:Someone's in speed-read mode :lol:
Guilty as charged Mike :oops: Sorry... Mitigating circumstances.

Have you tried CODEMAN who has a post in the For Sale/Wanted area. I'd post the link but I'm on a little laptop and its awful. My girls have grabbed both PCs in the house :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hi Jim, if it comes to it, I'll have to try a paid-for service. I have decoder software for Clarion systems but I need to get the radio out for the serial number and there's no guarantee it'll work. Citroen told me, when they asked for the VIN, that they would give me a printout - whether that was to be instructions for sorting the rev counter or the radio code, they didn't mention costs. I've since contacted Citroen UK and they tell me the details are on the database and that my local dealer needs to contact technical support to rectify my missing details :? Due to "security reasons" Cit UK don't keep Radio Codes. So, touch wood, might have it sorted tomorrow. Thanks.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Whilst we are talking about radios and the like can I ask a question? (well I'm going to anyway!)

My Xantia (Mk 1) has had a sony installed by a previous owner and I was looking at replacing it again with something that will play MP3s. Is there any way I can get a stereo to work with the steering wheel controls?

Cheers
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Yes, apparently Sony do a head unit that has an optional accessory (connector?) for Xantia's. I don't know which model nor how much they both cost.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Mike when i asked citroen dealer for the radio code MK1 they went through to a different company and printed it out of the PC. i cant remember exactly who it was but convinced it wasnt french :oops: :oops:
i know where the bit of paper went eventually up near junc 14 of the M1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Penguin,
in answer to your question yes. i assume that the sony system fitted now doesnt allow use of the controls. you will need to get atleast one adaptor which i believe plugs into the steering control "plug" the other end then plugs somewhere into your stereo or whatever.
have a look on ebay or similar places even halfrauds local motoshop for steering wheel radio adaptors each make seems to be slightly different but they do make them just a case of hunting them down.
sure someone on here will know lots more than me :) :)

Colin
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I have a Clarion Radio Decoder ....the instructions say:-

"Enter the last 4 digits of the barcode, if there are 2 barcodes use the lower one"
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

uncle buck wrote:I have a Clarion Radio Decoder ....the instructions say:-

"Enter the last 4 digits of the barcode, if there are 2 barcodes use the lower one"
Excellent! :D
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Mike and Admiral, thanks for the info I'll have a hunt around and see what I can find. Is it only Sony that these things connect to? I have a Panasonic out of my old Golf that plays MP3s and if I can use that it would be useful

Cheers
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

admiral51 wrote:i know where the bit of paper went eventually up near junc 14 of the M1 :lol: :lol: :lol:
And good, sterling service it is doing Colin :D
Jim

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

MIKE-T,

Citroen charge £15 for the orriginal radio code if they can Identify it by looking at the serial number on the back of the unit. or tracing it via the vin/chassis number.

my mate ended up paying £30 for a new number but the radio had to be sent away which took about ten days including turn around.

If you get a replacement number it can be a pain to enter it into the system, you get three chances then you need to leave the radio on for an hour so that the system clears it'self ready for rentry of the number again, switching the top fuse to its second position under the dashboard on the drivers side will allow this without needing your keys in the ignition to have the radio switched on.

regards Nigel.