Serpentine belt again?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Serpentine belt again?

Post by MikeT »

It seems to follow me :? There's a noise coming from that area that sounds rather familiar. I notice the AA were called in 2002 and reported a noisy A/C clutch. The A/C has never worked for the previous owner and doesn't work now. Any tips or suggestions for intial checks, I can't see anything unusual in that area?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Check the tension Mike.

A bit of noise is normal enough.

Can you describe it?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike,

Have a tonk through this threadhere and the thread it links to in the second post.

It might be of help to you. Not all aux belt noises are deadly :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Cheers Jim, I'll pay close attention to the noise tomorrow from stone cold and let you know.
bigjl2
My Cars:

Post by bigjl2 »

My aux belt just broke up and came off, on the way home, it has been noisy in that department since I parked it up over winter, a squirt of wd40 sorted it, I had thought it was a idler but they are all smooth and silent when spun,it has a manual tensioner, ad aftermarket A/C fitted from new he belt is 1390mm in length, and the way it is routed looks nothing like the haynes manual.
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

The way i've devised to check these things is a stethascope (£3.50 from ebay)

ou just put it on and place it close to (not touching) each cog until you find the whiney one. Even if 2 cogs are right next to each other this method will accurately find the fault.

Word of warning though, it's not actually safe to poke something which is strung to your ears around an engine bay with the engine on. Doesn't stop me, but I'm not taking any responsibiliity for sore ears or decapitations if you poke it in the wrong place.

It does work though, I saved a friend a fortune recently by stopping them from replacing the ac compressor and just replacing the aux belt + tensioner.
The noise seemed to be coming from the ac, but with the stethascope it was clearly the tensioner.

There are better things available which are basically sensitive microphones, expensive though.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Dr Mike has ordered a new stethascope 8)
.....though a cursory glance under the car has now made this squeak belt issue less of a priority and I think I've found the A/C fault.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Dr's in the house!! It arrived and what an amazing device it is. So I really do have a heart. :lol:

But it is incredibly sensitive. My hearing isn't so good but just touching the business end sounds really loud so I'm not too sure about placing it on a running engine (which I would normally do with a large screwdriver)! I hope the procedure only requires it be held/pointed at suspect components - I've yet to try it - once I overcome the weirdness of wearing one in public while working on a car :lol: