Xantia 2 heater blower stopped

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simoncanfer

Xantia 2 heater blower stopped

Post by simoncanfer »

Just when i thought I had my Xantia 100% something happens - blower fan total failure!

Car is a 1999 Xantia 2 HDi LX with AC.

Symptoms:
My heater blower suddenly stopped working, (totally different to the blower failure on my previous ZXs which slowly died so I assume a different fault).

With control on full and engine running:

There is 0.3 volts at the thick current leads to the 4-pin plug on the heater blower.
No volts at the motor connections.
Plug contacts looked a bit blackened, but electrolube sprayed in there has made no difference.
The fan itself seems a little stiff, but worked well enough.

Fuses 5 and 21 (according to Haynes) are OK.

Anyone know which relay, if fitted, is for the blower?

Or is it the ignition switch? One post said the relay mod did not necessarily coincide with the series 2.

Or is it the blower transistors? (Any quick way of testing them?)

Thanks in advance!

Simon
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Simon,

I had this trouble with my MK2. There is a relay for the blower - just above the throttle pedal behind the carpet (it might well be the only 35 amp one). I found that for some reason I had lost the feed to the switching side of the relay - I just jumped a new feed (fused!) from the switched side of the brown connector from the ignition switch to the cable for the switching feed to the relay - you can get the relay socket free from the mounting plate to access (just!) the wires on the back.

Edit: Original note here (when we were camped out at BXClub): Fan troubles I have since fitted an in-line fuse.... :lol:
Richard W
simoncanfer

Post by simoncanfer »

that's great, thanks. Found the relay; as you say it's one of those that seems fitted as an after-thought!