Saxo Anti-freeze & Power Steering Fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jmd
My Cars:

Saxo Anti-freeze & Power Steering Fluid

Post by jmd »

I would be grateful for advice on what Anti-freeze to use in a 2003, 1.5D. I got a user manual with the car, but it is very scarce on information. I am wondering if the old (tried & tested) Elhyl- Glycol mixed with distilled water should be used or the Citroen coolant. Also anybody know what fluid to use for the power steering.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I se no reason why a 50/50 mix of ethelene glycol should not be fine. Check the colour of what is in there now. If blue or green then any ethelene glycol will be good. If it's pink or red, stick with that stuff as it does not mix well with the traditional blue and green stuff unless you do a very thorough flush.

Comma do the red stuff.

For the power steering, normal ATF (Auto Tramsmission Fluid) should be OK. It comes under a variety of names but most will tell you on the package they're suitable for use in power steering systems.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Ethylene Glycol on it's own won't have the essential corrosion inhibitors in it.
You may not like what it does to your cylinder head waterways, radiator and heater matrix.

It could be a very expensive way of saving a few pounds. You won't find out right away though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry Steve :oops:

Yes, I should have siad ethelene glycol based antifreeze with the requisite corrosion inhibitors, which all good branded stuff do indeed have. Not just ethelene glycol on it's own. Thanks for pointing that out...

The important thing is to change it every two years...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No need for apologies, I have done the same myself - frequently.

My answer was based on experience - not a failure due to corrosion but I had in my lab large quantities of Ethylene Glycol and thought it would be a good idea to use it as antifreeze until someone pointed out the lack of inhibitors to me.

At this point, can I just also add that Ethylene Glycol is very toxic if ingested. This is particularly so with regard to animals and children. Spillages may be licked up by cats and dogs with fatal results. Kids may also drink it if they get hold of containers, it is sweet and palatable, smells nice too.

As far as I am aware, the only antidote is alcohol administered in fairly large quantities.

Could be used to your advantage - Aaargh! I've swallowed antifreeze, must go down the pub immediately

Seriously, not to be taken lightly.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Absolutely, nasty stuff. I often wonder about us with slightly duff heater matrixes inhaling the stuff when we're driving...
myglaren wrote:Could be used to your advantage - Aaargh! I've swallowed antifreeze, must go down the pub immediately
That has got to be the best excuse ever!!! By extension, it could be used with aforesaid duff matrixes to ensure any toxic effects are mitigated - a bit like taking anti-malarial tablets!
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citrojim wrote:Absolutely, nasty stuff. I often wonder about us with slightly duff heater matrixes inhaling the stuff when we're driving...
myglaren wrote:Could be used to your advantage - Aaargh! I've swallowed antifreeze, must go down the pub immediately
That has got to be the best excuse ever!!! By extension, it could be used with aforesaid duff matrixes to ensure any toxic effects are mitigated - a bit like taking anti-malarial tablets!
May be stretching things a bit as it has to be ingested.
Still, better safe than sorry :D
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

i have just flushed and changed the antifreeze on my xantia using a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/coolant and water. i think ideally you should use the distilled stuff.

do you have a screwfix near you, as they sell the coolant at a good price.
link to product
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84906/Aut ... ZE-_-84906#
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You will probably find that a 2003 car is filled with OAT based coolant - Citroen's version is a ver light 'straw' colour. This never needs changing - hence no info about it in the manual. Don't mix OAT and EG based anti-freezes - they can sometimes react and turn your cooling system to jelly!!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:You will probably find that a 2003 car is filled with OAT based coolant - Citroen's version is a ver light 'straw' colour.
Is this the same as the pinkish red stuff Richard or a different one again?
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

RichardW wrote:You will probably find that a 2003 car is filled with OAT based coolant - Citroen's version is a ver light 'straw' colour. This never needs changing - hence no info about it in the manual. Don't mix OAT and EG based anti-freezes - they can sometimes react and turn your cooling system to jelly!!
Wouldn't that be porridge? :wink:
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Thanks to everybody for your comments. Problem is that what was in the radiator, prior to this, looked more like clear water. Although I have flushed out the system with one of the well known brands, there seems to be still a coating of rust on the inside of the expansion tank. I was mindful of the problem Richard W has brought up, hence my reason for seeking advice. Prior to I think 2000 there was no problem - since then with so many so called "Enviromentally Friendly" anti - freeze types on the market the problems such as RichardW points out have come to the fore. I would have thought that a 2003 would have the the Cit. stuff, which would have some colour. I am inclined to go for flushing again, and use a mixture of EG and distilled water. Especially as I live in a hard water area.
(car recently acquired)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

citrojim wrote:Is this the same as the pinkish red stuff Richard or a different one again?
Errrr, dunno :oops: I was led to believe that after about 2001 Citroen filled with a permanent OAT based coolant and that it was very pale in colour - almost like water. There is no mention of coolant changes in the handbook for my 2001 HDi, but I haven't checked what colour it is.

Provided jmd has flushed out the coolant well, should be no trouble filling it with EG based stuff, but these days you might as well fill with OAT based long life stuff, and forget about having to change it every 2 years!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Just checked mine - the coolant is almost clear. Thinking about it, the OAT refers only to the corrosion inhibitors - the actual anti-freezing properties are presumably still provided by EG - it smells the same.
Richard W
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

I must say RichardW the inhibitors do not seem to have done a very good job on mine, as I flushed out a lot of rust & the inside of the expansion tank is still very rusty looking. I'm going to give it another flushing - got a twin pack flushing agent and will try that over the weekend. I used the Cit one in my sons C5 and it is green in colour, but EG based. My saxo (rather I should say my wife's) is a 2003 and water was probably added as a top up over the past five years, which accounts for the rusty appearance (Xantia man myself 280000 since 96 & still going fine)