Xantia Estate Tailgate Lock and Leaks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia Estate Tailgate Lock and Leaks

Post by CitroJim »

Just a heads up really..

Over the past couple of days, the central locking on the tailgate of my estate has been a bit sluggish and intermittent.

I removed the trim and found the cause to be a very stiff key lock. This is never used and had got very stiff over the years. Despite not appearing to have any function during central locking, the key lock barrel actually rotates through about 45 degrees when the lock motor operates.

A blast of WD40 followed by some lube restored normal operation. The locking motor just did not have enough oomph to overcome the lock barrel stiffness.

More to the point, although there was no obvious outward sign, the internal plastic membrane had come adrift in the tailgate and I could see evidence of past leaks. Now resealed with mastic.

Even if your tailgate is not apparantly leaking, it is well worth slipping off the trim (just a load of torx screws) and checking the membrane is still well sealed to the tailgate frame. It may just save having a wet cargo area during all the April showers (monsoons :lol: ) we're having at the moment.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Spud
My Cars:

Post by Spud »

That must be the problem with my tailgate lock...as the key won't turn the lock at all.......

All the best

Spud 8)
1996 Xantia 2.0CT Estate
1997 Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0TD
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Mine doesn't seem to have a tailgate lock at all. :?
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

reblack68 wrote:Mine doesn't seem to have a tailgate lock at all. :?
I think only MK1s have the key lock on the tailgate Richard, Certainly my MK2 hatch has no lock, just a button.

One les thing to go wrong :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...