Xantia estate MK2 rear wiper intermitent operation???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xantia estate MK2 rear wiper intermitent operation???

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

hi, I have stopped the leaky rear door some years ago when I bought the estate Used.
Has anyone had the same problem with the rear wiper only working intermittently?
could it be the control stalk? or is it more likley to be the motor or something else stopping it from working, It will go occassionally if you switch it on and slam the rear door but that is not always possiable when your driving along the road........lol.
If i had some info from other ppls experiences with these rear wipers I might know where to head to solve the problem.

Regards Nigel.
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

hi there is three brass contacts inside the motor it is a pain to dismantle one of these could be burning out i had this on mine and just went to a breakers to get another one it seems the mark 1 and mark 2 estates are the same but hatchback will not fit as it only does a quarter sweep
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

meexi,

thanks i'll probably consider replacing the motor unit anyway, it's about time I got it going anyway.
is it a pig of a job to get the motor out?

regards Nigel.
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

fairly easy one spindle bolt and three bolts holding the motor
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
falling-out-with-my-car

meexi,

Thanks for that.

regards Nigel.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Just bumping this because of my own experiences.

The estate rear wiper delay was setting its own delay times. Some occasions, this could be in the order of a week or two between wipes.

Culprit was delay box on the wiper motor. Previous owner had been quoted AUD$363 for new motor unit. Self-weight of the electromagnet in the delay box had combined with rough roads and under-pressurised spheres to bust some connections on the delay box's circuit board.

I resoldered the offending joints, braced the electromagnet casing back to its ground lug with some 32 thou brass shim stock as strapping, then cleaned/reassembled the whole shebang.

Repair had become necessary as I need Murphy to ward off rain for the remaining weekdays this month...

Cheers, Adam.