xantia aerial

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

xantia aerial

Post by john alexander »

Hi my xantia suffers from poor reception and searches quite a lot , the aerial has an extra lead to the base . I think this is a booster, am I right? and does anyone know how its meant to work, where does the other end of the wire go to > regards john.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

No idea about the second wire, but I replaced the standard short antenna with one from a ZX which was a great improvement on the reception I had been getting. 8)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If your antenna has an amplifier, the amplifier could have failed, it has happened on both my Xantias.
As a check (and maybe a fix), you can remove the amplifier by pulling out the metal disk that covers the mounting nut, then remove the mouning nut, and the amplifier comes away, with the antenna cable probably attached. You will then find that the amplifier can can be unclipped from the round PCB that is attached to the end of the antenna cable.
Put the amplifier can to one side, and just remount the antenna with the PCB and lead attached. If your radio signal is now the same, or improved, then you can be fairly sure that the amplifier is faulty.
On one of my cars, the radio worked well enough without the amplifier, so I left it like that. On the other, the performance was still not very good, so I got a replacement amplifier from a breaker.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Both the Xantias I've owned displaced a Renault and both of them had their aerial swapped with the Renault ones- same mounting, proper length of mast.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
rlatarche

Post by rlatarche »

My Xantia is the same, the radio signal is poor to unusable. How does one go about replacing the aerial?

An idiots guide is what i'm after - i've got a N reg AC xantia.

Thanks
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

All you need to do is access the 8mm nut in the base of the aerial. It's a while since I did it but I think it was just a matter of removing the sunvisors and pulling the headlining down gently. It's a bit of a fiddle but not that hard. You can retain the existing cable.

Most French cars of the era use the same base with either a stubby or long aerial so it shouldn't be hard to find a donor.

Check at the back of your stereo too, if you can. On my car the stereo was very rusty around the aerial socket for some reason, probably a contributory factor in the poor reception.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi . I believe the extra wire powers the amplifier but I dont know where the other end connects to. regards john.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

bump
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

If all that doesn't work take out the front driver side carpet.

You might find an unplugged wire, it's the aerial.

Happened to my car so could happen to yours as well.