removal of xantia passenger carpet and scuttle question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

removal of xantia passenger carpet and scuttle question

Post by admiral51 »

i need to remove my passenger side carpet to place in a warm dry enviroment :) :)
i have looked at the BOL and it says that i need to remove the handbrake cables from the calipers is this really the way to go or is there a much easier short cut

what is the best way to reseal the scuttle without taking it off it has a few cracks in it but seems to be well sealed to the screen
is it best to use clear silicon sealant or is there another much neater method

Cheers

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This is quite a dockyard job Colin. I've done it twice now :twisted:

Firstly, the good news is that the two front carpets are separate and meet under the centre console. The bad news is that the underlay is not :evil:

Don't just take the front out; take out the rear carpet as you'll find the water will have crept right back there. Normally, the damp does not penetrate under the drivers carpet so that can stay put but do check though.

Remove the rear seat bases (4 nuts). Remove the front passenger seat, 6 Torx Bolts. You'll aslo need to disconnect the seatbelt from the seat anchorage point. For MK2 owners with side airbags, there is no need to disconnect the airbag wiring as the seat will move far enough back on the wires to enable the carpet to be removed.

Remove the centre console by removing the rear ashtray and removing the two 10mm nuts. Remove the oddment tray/immobiliser keypad and remove the second set of 10mm nuts under there. Note for MK2 owners, the airbag trigger box lives under the oddment tray. Handle with care as it has to be removed before the console will lift out. Disconnect the battery and wait 10 mins before disconnecting the trigger unit. Clip out the trim around the height lever, gearlever (gaiter) and handbrake. Note there is no need to remove the gear knob. Remove the front ashtray and clip off the trim surround around the radio and heater controls. Undo the two small torx scres that anchor the top of the console to the main console at the top of the ashtray opening.

You can now lift the console just enough to gain access to the handbrake. Loosen and remove the three nuts that hold the handbrake lever mechanism to the floor and lift and angle the assembly slightly so the cable will disconnect. You can now lift out the console.

The rear carpet and underlay will now lift out in one piece after lifting the bottom part of the door weatherseals. The front passenger carpet will also now lift out after disconnecting the plastic joiners that attach it to the drivers-side carpet and releasing any wiring loom clips. Remove the round nut-like clips that secure the carpet in the footwell, lift the door weatherseals and then lift the carpet out. You will find the foam underlay is in one piece with the drivers side. carefully cut it down the centre console edge using a sharp Stanley Knife.

The only bit that cannot be got out easily is the black rubber diaphragm in the passenger footwell. Lift it up, dry as much as you can underneath and leave it propped up witth a piece of wood to allow air to circulate.

It'll take a week at least to dry out the damp so put the handbrake back together and refit the passengers seat and back seats and use the car normally, pretending you're driving a stripped-out rally car :lol:

The windscreen scuttle panel is best resealed back to the windscreen using a good quality silicone RTV for use on automotive applications and preferably black. The most critical area is the two feet or so from the passenger edge across toward the middle.

It is worth checking the blower motor and speed regulator module at this point as they will have been getting soaked from water pouring in the heater vent. This often kills the speed regulator but it is repairable if need be. Do check the terminals as these corrode and will benefit from a good clean-up. You'll find there is a lot of electrical wiring under the passenger carpet and seat. It is a good idea to check every connector for corrosion and clean where necessary. The alarm lives under the passenger seat.

best place to dry the carpets and underlay is over the stair banister if SWMBO will allow!

Reassembly is a reversal of the disassembly process :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

cheers for that Jim just what i needed another 5 minute job to take up some of my hours of free time :lol: :lol: :lol:

As far as SWMBO goes its going to be her car (so im told) so looks like the airing cupboard is going to be empty for a week except for a carpet :D :D :D

I should know at some stage tomorrow if my electrics have survived as i have the blower mod to do as well :) :) but i know the blower itself is fine as ive transfered that to the other Xantia and its working fine
well SWMBO wouldnt want me to get cold in the mornings would she??? :D :D

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Carpets out and drying in the sunshine dont think its going to last :( :(

just had a chat with my nextdoor neighbour and both carpets are going over to his workplace tonight bonus as he works in the foundry making cast brake discs nice and warm in there :lol: :lol:
Got a little blower sat in passenger footwell trying to dry out the bit that wont come out :) :)

could have them back in place tomorrow and SWMBO keeps her airing cupboard for the laundry double bonus no nagging :lol: :lol: :D :D

oh and if i could hold that much liquid id be well impressed :wink: :wink:

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You've got the carpets out already Colin :shock:

Well done =D> \:D/

Yes, it is rather staggering how much water they can contain, the weight alone is amazing!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

You can dry out under carpet using newspaper. It is slow but eventually effective. Assuming the leak is stopped, get enough access to put a complete newspaper under the carpet. Remove and bin each day, and replace with a fresh one.

The first few days it will be really sodden. I seem to remember it can take a month, but it only takes a minute or so a day.

Fred