Hdi's and catalytic converters???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Hdi's and catalytic converters???

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello everyone,

can anybody tell me please if when buyin a used HDI engined diesel car can I remove the cat like I did on my 98 diesel Xantia and still pass the MoT? the earlier engine doesn't need a cat to pass the MOt so I thought Id have it removed for a straight pipe to fit a 1995 xantia kwik fit obliged and it saved me 250 quid.

Regards Nigel.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Yes
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

My HDi has had the cat removed, a straight section of pipe welded in and it passes the MOT no problem.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

And it was this very helpful chap that made up the new stainless pipe to my diamensions and I welded it on.

Andy at
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sporty-Exhaust ... esstQQtZkm

mention my name :D
3 Fiat 124 Sport 1969x2, 1968
2 Fiat 124 Spider 1976, 1971
1 Fiat 20VT Coupe Plus
BUT maybe moving to France
deian

Post by deian »

Diesel cars don't need a Cat to pass the MOT.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Anyone got any official confirmation of that before I dump mine and get a bespoke SS exhaust?
deian

Post by deian »

Petrol cars before K can ditch the cat. After K reg you have to keep it to pass the MOT.

Because diesel care haven't got carbon monoxide the cat can be safely removed. Can't find proof, but talk to an MOT guy.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

deian wrote:Petrol cars before K can ditch the cat. After K reg you have to keep it to pass the MOT.

Because diesel care haven't got carbon monoxide the cat can be safely removed. Can't find proof, but talk to an MOT guy.
Thanks deian.
I wonder why they bother to fit them in the first place if you can chuck them away?
The guy who owns the local motor parts shop had a 607 2.2 HDi and one of the reasons he ditched it was the cost of replacing the cat and doing the EOLYS/DPF thing.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

myglaren wrote:I wonder why they bother to fit them in the first place if you can chuck them away?
They are fitted to reduce the amount of NOX (Nitrates of Oxygen IIRC) emitted from the car, but the MOT only tests for smoke particulates, hence no need to have a cat fitted at MOT time
myglaren wrote:The guy who owns the local motor parts shop had a 607 2.2 HDi and one of the reasons he ditched it was the cost of replacing the cat and doing the EOLYS/DPF thing.
That's a separate issue, particulate filters.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Steve,

We have Europe to thank for the lowley catalytic converter, it is a manufacturers standard to fit it on diesel and petrol vechicles,only diesels don't need them, to cut a long story short and my blogs can be to long sometimes. Our refineries were told by the goverment to find a way to cut carbon dioxide and NOX emmissions from the burning of road fuel, the refineries knew it would cost them to much money to re-tool so the refinerys said to the goverment have you heard of the catalytic converter?
Thus passing the cost of creating cleaner fuel to the consumer.
The so called clean fuel at the pump is a con and a way to stretch fuel output a bit further to make more money for the refineries.
Ask yourself a question if we have so called cleaner fuel why do we need a catalytic converter in the vechicle? somebody is making a packet and not being totally honest with us consumers. wouldn't it just be easier to re-tool and make cleaner fuel? Either way it looks like my question has raised something some ppl were not aware of and it might save them a few quid along the way.

Regards Nigel.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks, fowmc.
Your argument does smack of common sense.
When the cat fails, I'll just get a complete SS exhaust system made, assuming I still have the car.

I'm sure there is a lot of smoke and mirrors involved in fuel manufacture and distribution. I buy mine from Sainsbury's currently and have seen all sorts of different tankers delivering there, you could be putting anything in your tank and never know what.

Like Maggie Thatcher's argument that leadless petrol was a load of bollocks but nobody listened to her. Only thing she was right about in my experience.