LHM Pipe "Cut"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

LHM Pipe "Cut"

Post by Ross »

1994 1.9td VSX

I drove into the firms car park this morning leaving a trail of
LHM across the carpark with a STOP light flashing on and off (more on than off)
Had a look under the bonnet and whilst I could see moisture on the ground there was no apparent leak - until
I removed the large diameter Turbo? air intake pipe and discovered that an oval metal clip which hadn't previously been correctly fitted had actually worn its way through the LHM pipe which comes from top of what I think is the pressure regulator (mounted at bottom of rad on nearside).
It must have been rubbing for 1000's of miles as the clip has a perfect shiny semi circle in it which fits the pipe - the hole is little more than a pin prick - but its enough
The problem is that the car is 40 miles away and had sunk to the floor - with no jack or tools I was unable to see where the hydraulic pipe went to after it left the top right hand (passenger)side of the regulator.
So the questions are - does anyone know where th pipe goes to ?
Are all the pipe end fittings the same on the Citroen Range ?
How bad a job is it going to be to renew the pipe ?
Are there any other methods of effecting a repair given the working pressure of the system?
Thanks for your help
Ross
deian

Post by deian »

There are two different pipe fittings on a citroen hydraulic circuit, a high pressure one, and a low pressure one.

Myself I'd try to top the fluid up, and drive it home carefully, maybe with a mate or the aa driving behind you. Obviously, a healthy accumulator sphere would help. No harm in trying to get it home for further inspection.

Always the disadvantage with hydraulic citroens... the ones that sink are a pain in the back side if they fail and you break down. Be glad urs isn't an auto. Not only you can't jump start it, u can's tow it, or hitch it up the back of a wagon, or jack it up easily.

Good luck.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ross,

Was the device it was connected to attached to the cross member under the rad, rather than onto the gearbox? I have a suspicion that what you are looking at is infact the feed pipe from the hydractive valve to one of the front struts - this is a rubber / metal composite pipe, specific to VSX cars, and likely to be £££ from Citroen only.... :cry:

Yep, I'm not wrong.... One is £160 and the other £192....

If it does come from the regulator than that is the bypass return (and would dump all the LHM on the floor pretty sharpish) - and that isn't cheaper either.... (£185 if I found the right one :evil: ) Mind you, if it is this pipe, then it is low pressure and you can bodge it with a piece of copper pipe or something :lol:

Bet it's not though :(

Edit... D'uh not reading your post - is it just a metal pipe?
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its a high pressure pipe it will probably be 3mm. If you phone 'Pleiades' on 01487 831239 the will be able to supply you with a flaring tool and the necessary fittings to be able to repair the pipe. It will cost you £60.00 or so, but then you will always be able to repair any broken/rusty pipes. They also supply the pipe so you can put a section in if necessary. I have used mine two or three times. It makes a relatively easy job out of a nightmare :)