release bearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

toofargone
My Cars:

release bearing

Post by toofargone »

Finally got to the point where I am putting the gearbox back into my year 2000 2.0hdi synergie. (badly worn selector fork on first/second gear on the ml5 box)

Have been using the little Russek book for help. However there is very little info on replacing the gearbox. Does the release bearing have to be separated from the clutch end and placed on the gearbox end, (as in the haynes manual for the xantia)?

Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes it does. The release bearing has to be released from the diaphragm spring by popping out the snap-ring and placed on the gearbox input shaft before replacing the 'box.

Then the trick is to re-engage the release bearing into the clutch diaphragm spring and you need to push a special tool into the slave cyliner hole, hook the release fork and pull smartly back so the snap ring engages back into the clutch diaphragm spring.

The Xantia BoL covers this well but for some bizarre reason in the gearbox chapter rather than in the clutch chapter :roll: The tool does not look too hard to make up.

The XM BoL suggests it can be done with a bent piece of metal.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Toofargone,

What were the symptoms of your selector wear/failure. Still havn't got round to checking my Synergie sticky 2nd gear selection yet - wet, cold, snow etc etc.

Gammy
toofargone
My Cars:

Post by toofargone »

Gammy leg

The symptom of the gearbox trouble was that the vehicle would rarely go into second without a lot of force. If you had tried to select second, in the same way you would select other gears, it simply would not go in.

The way I had been selecting second was to put it into neutral then give it a massive thump backwards. Most times I simply went for third, but where I live this was sometimes not possible, (because of the hills).
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Toofargone,

Symptoms sound identical to mine. Excuse my ignorance, but would the repair to the selector fork be possible without having to remove the gearbox? ( I've misplaced my Russek book, not that it was particularly good )

Thanks

Gammy
toofargone
My Cars:

Post by toofargone »

I just took to gearbox out thinking I was going to replace it for a S/H box. Then I found that someone in our town fixed gearboxes. A selctor fork was £59. Thus I got him to fix the box.

He DID say that perhaps it would have been possible to fix this without taking the gearbox out. However, I do not know enough to say one way or the other.

Hope it goes well