citroen Xantia MK2 steering colunm retainning plate removal?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

citroen Xantia MK2 steering colunm retainning plate removal?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, i am having a bundle of fun (NOT) I am Trying to replace my clutch pedal plastic clip.
The majority of descriptions given in these forums seem to be for MK1 xantias.
my MK2 has a steering colunm retainning plate that extends from behind the steerring wheel all the way down to the front of the peddles, apparently a mod added to later models for saftey reasons.

I have got as far as removing the steering colunm but i am worried about removing the steering colunm retainning plate where it bolts to the bulkhead, Has anyone been this far please? or actually removed the retainning plate for access to the clutch pedal and successfully put it back again without to much bother?
I was wondering if the bolts securing the plate to the bulkhead have nuts welded to the bulkhead or do they drop off into the engine bay somewhere? please help.

heres a tip don't loose your rag when you are all tucked up with your head up your backside in a foot well your muscles tense and you can't move which is even more frustraiting. (swearing helps a lot). only watch out I turned around and me mum was standing right behind me. ooopppss

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Kind regards Nigel.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Nigel and welcome to the forum :D

I've just gone out and compared my MK1 and MK2. I never noticed the plate on the MK2 before :o

I cannot see the true picture because both my main Xantias both have hydraulic clutches are are clip-free zones. I can see on the MK2 how much more difficult it'll make the job though :twisted:

I think you'll be OK removing the plate as it is almost invariable that the bolts will screw into captive nuts. I cannot confirm as I could not see the other sides of the nuts due to severe congestion in that area on mine.

One sure way to tell is to loosen the bolts a little and to wiggle and push them, you'll then soon feel if the nuts are captive.

The best of luck with the clip. I wonder if it would be easier to resort to the hacksaw as recommened for the MK1 and put a new bolt in the opposite way?

Hope your mum's ears have recovered :lol: Mind you, a good swear can work wonders!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

steering colunm retainning plate removal?

citrojim,

Thank God I thought I was going bannanas, maybe I was doing it all wrong, thanks for your input I am glad you have compared the different models otherwise i might have looked a bit thick there.

I am going to attempt to phone the techy department at citroens head office in Slough tommorrow 7th of April2008 and see if anyone is an anorak on MK2 Xantias. I tried downloading a so called full dealership service manual from Tradebit in the states this mornning payed with pay-pal and got ripped off with a haynes manual.
The stripping down is not to difficult as long as you remember where all the bolts go never mind the colour coded plugs the airbag is the boot between two pillows and the left and right instrument stalks with airbag connector is on top of the dashboard, what's left of it. I suppose if the nuts drop off of the backplate mounting on the bulkhead I could drill right through the bulkhead to put new bolts and nuts in but I might need a good dab of mastic to seal the holes but that sounds a bit drastic, I have heard that the bulkheads are double skinned this is why i was concerned about the nuts being welded on. sawing the biolt would be nice but I still have the dilemma of getting to the bolt, the lower half of the rack sticks up across the front of the clutch peddle and this enormous plate makes access almost impossiable. nice thought though.
kind regards Nigel.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Have you tried looking on the Citroen Service website? You might be able to get a better picture by looking at the exploded view, and it won't cost you a penny.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
falling-out-with-my-car

exploded view

stempy,

great sugestion but do you know the address of the Citroen service website please?
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

http://service.citroen.com/

You will need to register, but then most of what you need will be free to look at. You can't download the views but you can print them off. There's also a lot of tech info, but you will have to pay for that.

Lexia ponce

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote:You can't download the views
You can, in a sort of way. Right-click on the diagram part and choose "Save As". You can then save it as a small jpeg image. The downside is that you get the diagram but not the part numbers beside it.

This is an example..

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

Citroen service

citrojim,

Had no luck with exploded diagrams, most of it's French to me even if I did find a way to translate I couldn't find the section I needed, I don't think Citroen expect you to do this job at all, I'm just going to stick my head under the dash and apply a socket and turn those damm bolts and see what happens, I can't bear to be without a car esspecially living in the rural pits of england.

Regards Nigel.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

You need to select English on the log in page. I found the steering column view but it didn't seem very helpful to me, but may have had the wrong model. If you enter your chassis number it will give you the right views.

Lexia ponce

Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

By the way, if you want to show pictures here do you need to host them on your own web space?

Lexia ponce

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote:By the way, if you want to show pictures here do you need to host them on your own web space?
Yes, either in your own webspace Stempy or use one of the photo hosting sites.

Myglaren has done an excellent guide here on posting pictures.

I use my own webspace simply for convenience as it is right in front of me on the same server as the forum databases. On balance, unless you're sitting on your web server I guess the photo host sites are a deal easier to use.
Jim

Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I see, I can use my iMac at home as a web server but I don't leave it switched on so that would be no good. My ISP provides a modicum of webspace so I guess I'd link to that.

Lexia ponce

falling-out-with-my-car

removing steering colunm retainning plate?

still no good no diagram available.(correction) there is a diagram but not of what is in my xantia, I have searched other models and I still cannot find a like part. I now know it is probably called a steering column support.
but no sign of the one citroen retro fitted to my in between models car.
if the parts shown are what is in my motor ive probably got another weeks work ahead of me, no wonder the mechanic wanted 140 quid to put this clip in.

regards nigel.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Anything like this ?

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389