C5 Leak and Squeak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Snoy

C5 Leak and Squeak

Post by Snoy »

One of the hoses on my C5's power steering split so I replaced and filled up with LDS fluid. Does the system now require bleeding as the pump is a tad noisey and there's plenty of squeaking from the rear suspension when driving over the slightest road imperfection
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Have you tried moving the steering wheel from lock to lock several times? This is how normal PS systems are bled. I think the PS on modern Citroens has split the PS from the suspension system.

Steve.
not applicable
Snoy

C5 rear axle squeak,

Post by Snoy »

The hydraulics and PS still share the same reservoir on the C5:(.
I've driven the car since refilling the LDS reservoir and the power steering noise has gone. So to has the squeaky suspension. Though that's gone because there's a fair bit of weight (my tools) on the back seats and in the boot. If the weight is removed, the squeaking comes back. When driving over any surface it sounds like one of those big old baby prams with the big springs!. I tracked the noise to the bar that connects the two rear trailing arms though this has a section of tubular steel sheet welded over it so I can't see in. The squeaking is so loud, people stop and stare as I pass by. Any ideas of how to stop my squeak?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On the C5 the brakes are now independant from the hydraulic system. Suspension and steering are still integrated as depicted by the designation of the new fluid LDS (Liquide Direction et Suspension).

I suspect that any retaining bushing for the ARB is defective or dry.
Could also be a defctive mounting joint from ARB to radius arm.
Usually there are huge forces involved with the ARB, so any minor un-wanted play can really make strange things.

IMHO you should have the ARB mountings checked ASAP as its absolutely no fun losing the ARB function during a turn - even at moderate speeds :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
tonyk

Post by tonyk »

Hi Snoy
i seem to have a leak on my PAS hoses -the one that pick the steel hose that come from infront of the radiator and runs back to a crimped joint at the subframe. (at least i hope this is the only hose that is leaking). Do you need to get any particular type of hose to replace what with the fluid being LDS) or do you just replace with hydraulic hose of same size. also i take take it you just cut away the crimped joint and replace with jubilee clips
Thanks
Tonyk
C3 1.4 HDI 16V 92 2003
XSARA 2.0 HDI 90 2003
C5 MK1 2.0 HDI 110 2004
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the correct procedure for bleeding the PAS on the C5 is to pressurise the LDS reservoir to 0.5 bar & turn the steering lock to lock a few times.
axford

Post by axford »

How do you pressurise it ?