Unusual ???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DaveW
My Cars:

Unusual ???

Post by DaveW »

Hi all,

Just fitted new spheres to the rear of my son's 1.8, non-hydroactive, facelift model Xantia.

It took about half an hour to do the job and then I did the usual - ran the engine for a minute or so with the pressure reg. valve open, closed it then did Citrobics (four times) - test run of about a mile - Citrobics (four times) and all seemed OK.

I then lubricated the height corrector linkages front and rear and finally did the 'sit in the boot test' -- result of that was that the suspension lowered slightly as normal but did not come back up !!

The main (front) accumulator appears to be OK as the tick interval is about 1 minute 20-40 seconds.

Any ideas ??

Having more experience with BX's which did not have one fitted, I wonder if this may be a symptom of a failed rear accumulator (the so called anti-sink) sphere or the AS valve or air trapped somewhere.
Anyone had experience of this?

Expert advice (Anders Et. Al.) urgently(ish) needed.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

>>finally did the 'sit in the boot test' -- result of that was that the suspension lowered slightly as normal but did not come back up !!

Was this with the engine running or not?

The antisink sphere is misnamed, it's really a rear brake accumulator in case of pump failure.

Steve.
not applicable
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Thanks trusting my humble wisdom Dave :oops:

You did not by any chance fitted a set of recon'ed or second hand spheres ?
Did you check the sphere types before fitting ?
It does happens now & then - that those "green Citroen balls" are just thrown down in any suitable empty box - as many retailers dont have a clue on different sphere types.

No matter any mysterious printing/marking on the spheres - its possible to trace it back from the part no - which maker made them - and for which Citroen and where it is meant for.

If they are correct for the 1.8saloon, then the rear should sink at least a couple of inches when loaded by your bodyweight (75-110kg).
It should then slowly after a delay of approx 15 seconds start gaining its original height again.
And of course it shoukld do the opposite when you leave the trunk : jump up, then after a delay slowly sink down.

Its important that the engine is running to power the pump.
If not - you are instead testing the remaining capacity of the main accumulator sphere.

You only have 2 options :
Either the rear suspension spheres are near flat
or the suspension arm bearings are badly worn making the suspension arms stick - even with load.

(the rear wheels should of course be free to move, no wheel blocks etc.)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Thanks for the replies.

The problem seems to have sorted itself, at least to some extent.

I took the car for a longer run over a bumpy forest road and then de-pressurised the suspension and then did some more citrobics.
Now, with the engine switched off immediately prior to doing so, sitting on the boot lip it does rise from the load position but the amount of movement is far less and much slower than it is with my Mk.l, 1.9TD (I fitted new rear spheres to that approx. 2,000 miles ago)

I find this to be odd given that the excellent 'tick' interval indicates that the main accumulator is OK.

The spheres are brand new not recon.
According to the GSF parts list the rear spheres are the same for both cars and the ones fitted today do have the same code as the ones fitted to the TD.
A push test on each corner of the car gives the expected (and satisfactory) movement so the spheres themselves seem to be OK.

With the engine running the movement is a little quicker but still not as fast as the TD. All linkages at the height corrector are free moving and, as I said, were lubricated earlier today.

I cannot feel any play in the rear suspension arms and the wheels look as they should - no sign of splaying - when viewed from the rear

The ride seems fine so perhaps it's just one of those odd differences between the two cars.
Was the suspension changed at all on the Mk.ll (facelift model) to that on the Mk.l ?

Dave.
tdolman

Post by tdolman »

Just a thought have you checked/cleaned the LHM filters when I cleaned mine it made a big difference.
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Yes, the filters and tank were cleaned when I renewed the LHM about 12,000 miles ago.

Dave.