xsara 2001 hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars:

xsara 2001 hdi

Post by 1939 »

hi every one wonder if any body could give me a bit of advice on an xsara hdi 2001 i have tried to remove the drop link on the front shock is there any way can stop the drop link joint from turning when i try to un do the nut the joint bolt just keeps on turning so i cant take the drop link off is there any way of holding the drop link from turning at all thanks for any one that can help me out as i have the change the front shocks thank you
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's only one way to get them off - angle grinder :lol: Granted, you have to replace the link, but they're pretty cheap - you are very unlikely to succeed in getting the nut on and off....
Richard W
My Cars:

xsara hdi

Post by 1939 »

thanks ritchard guess your right thank mate
Nutcase
My Cars:

Post by Nutcase »

Pretty sure on the last few I've done that there was a a piar of parallel flats on the shank of the joint(just in front of the rubber boot) onto which you can fit an open ended spanner which makes it a doddle (depending on the orientation of the flats when the drop link was fitted - I made sure when fitting new ones that I rotated the knuckles so the flats were more or less vertical so future access is easier!). Failing that as Richard says grind/hacksaw the nuts off - not worth trying to save them usually (unless they were pretty new).

Regards, Greg
2001 Xsara HDI 110 150,000 & counting!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you can apply any force to the bolt by tilting or lifting on the droplink, there is a good chance this friction can withstand the torque needed to unwind the nut.
It will certainly make it a lot easier first to wind the nut home using a drop of oil, then clean and lube the exposed thread well before you give the nut another go unwinding it.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
phil.s

Post by phil.s »

Just been through the pain of removing drop links today on my '01 Xsara`HDi. For the avoidance of any doubt, there aren't any parallel flats on the ball joint to get a spanner on. The link is held by a 4mm Allen key whilst undoing the nut but I found the metal to be fairly soft and if the nut is corroded the inevitable happens - sparks must then fly I'm afraid.