BX 16 Auto Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ian Fearn
My Cars:

BX 16 Auto Problem

Post by Ian Fearn »

Have got a very subtle problem with our BX 1.6 carb'd automatic.

If your cruising at any speed pretty much theres a very light almost resonance type of feeling. Almost like the car has flat spotted tyres. Its very difficult to describe but you'd get the same response if you were to constantly move your foot on and off the accelerator. It makes you feel a bit sick at 70mph. Like i said though its quite subtle.

The car was sat for many years until about 10 months ago and its only done 28k (had done 25k when we got it). Its since had 4 new Michelins, HT's, plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm and had plenty of redex.

When we first got it the fuel gauge was all over the place from half a tank downwards but thats sorted itself out, i'm assuming some mucky fuel has worked its way through.

Its on the original Solex autochoke carb which history seems to show isnt brilliant.

Any ideas?
1983 2CV6 Charleston 110k (Re-build in op!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo
1991 BX GTi 4x4
1989 BX GTi 4x4
1991 BX GTi Auto
1998 Xantia V6 Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Ian -

Its fuel system cleaning time :idea:
Wait until fuel level is low.

I have sort of the same problem - but to the extent that my monopoint injected Meteor is un-driveable.

Start with the tank suction pipe and filter. Accessible under a large black plastic cover under the rear seat.
The "manifold" is held by a large knurled screwlid which can be turned useing a large screwdriver thumbing against the knurled sections.
Then syphon up what you possible can from the bottom of the suction well. I suspect quite some crud here.

You will notice another access cover. Under here the tank level sender unit is located. Removed the same way as the suction pipe manifold.
The sender unit is delicate, but the exterior protective tube can be removed carefully to clean the resistive level signalling element.

The petrol pump fitted to the cylinder head is held on by the 2 bolts you can see, easy to remove. A new seal can be made up by any thickwalled paper container for cereals etc. Even 2 layers with the painted sides outwards. There is no pressure to seal against - only a natural flow of engine oil.
The petrol pump is usually sealed by a series of screws round the circumference, making it possible to overhaul it. There is an inlet filter gauze which can completely gunk up, blocking the pump capacity.
New pumps are becoming rare, but I believe they can still be found on the shelves at GSF, as its the same type for all XU engines on carb'ed PSA's.
Dont spend to muct time/money on it though, as any universal electric (12V) fuel lift pump is VERY easy to install as replacement.

The carburettor is by far the most delicate component, and the most time consuming part to deal with.
Also it is quite expensive as new part - apart from the fact the car then also have to go to a garage for a complete tune up to adjust for exact model application.

GSF should still stock repair kits containing all seals & bits for a range of carb types within the same basic carb family. Both for Solex and Weber carbs.
Its amazing how far you can get with time and patience on these otherwise delicate components :wink:

Besides Bob Smith has collected a number of useful documents here :
http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/Carburation/
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image